Legos

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2012, 06:27 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Funny topic, but just wondered who else is a Lego fanatic (I know Ben is at least).

First question... how do you keep them organized? I am finding that the Legos are worse to keep straight than other toys we've had before, due to being in themed sets and in a million pieces.

I tried to put each set in its own clear zippered container with the booklet on front so you could see what they were. Unfortunately, my MIL "being helpful" dumped all of them together into one giant baggie. Is it worth separating them again?

Second question... which sets do you have, which are favorites and which are you hoping to get?

We have knights in a dungeon, a car carrier with motorcycles, Capt Jack Sparrow and crew, Sponge Bob and his pirate ship, Hogwarts, a smaller Harry Potter set, a lemonade stand and some random vintage Legos that aren't in a set. Hugo wants every set he sees, but mostly the rest of the Jack Sparrow ones.

Hugo's really gotten into these, and attended a small Lego club function last week at Barnes and Noble.

June 19th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My kids still play with the duplos (the slightly larger set.) Matt got a few sets of the smaller ones for his birthday, but he still seems to head straight for the duplos. That's what I prefer because then little Katy can play too. We have lego table in Matt's room with two huge bins of legos, and the kids play with them every single day. They're easily the favorite toy around here.
June 20th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Fritz and Adrian are very into Duplos. Fritz has done a few of the regular Lego sets, but he prefers Duplos. We keep those all together in a big tote.

Cameron has a zillion Legos. He separates them himself however makes sense to him. He puts them in open top boxes. He's got several sets. His favorites are the Kingdoms sets, but mostly he just makes things once and then makes random things he makes up or finds instructions for on youtube.

Ani has a couple Harry Potter sets and several Lego Friends (the girl Legos) sets. She builds them and leaves them put together displayed in her room.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 20th, 2012, 06:14 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I can't even tell you how many sets we have! Daniel uses duplos, and Ben uses the regular sets. They're separated into clear plastic bins with lids by color, except that all the mini-figs and "people pieces" (swords, etc.) are in a separate container. All of the guides are in a box together. We prefer not to keep pieces together by set, because it limits creativity.
June 20th, 2012, 07:33 PM
The Kingdoms! That's the name for the knights set. Hugo LOVES anything that creates a booby-trap for the little people LOL, or mini-weapons.

I like the separating by color idea. I am not so into the limiting the play to the instruction sheet, so maybe grouping the colors will allow us to find things but still be flexible. Bonus, it would be easier to have Hugo sort them himself that way.

Where do you keep all the Lego bins?

Youtube is a good idea... I had never thought about looking for Lego instructions there!

We are in for it this fall when we visit the giant Lego store at Disney World... we are already saving money for it LOL.

June 20th, 2012, 08:56 PM
You should get a price comparison app or something... you'll probably find sets cheaper elsewhere, and can use that store to find only the things that aren't in other stores.

We live in a 1.5 story house. The .5 part upstairs is just one very large bonus room (supposed to be a home theater or something, I think). That's where all the toys stay. The legos are all in one spot of that room. ... well, except when they're in a million pieces all. over. the. floor!
June 21st, 2012, 04:35 AM
We found some awesome deals at Legoland in Florida! I was surprised at how things were cheaper there than at Toys R Us at home. The Lego store in downtown Disney was also cheaper than our TRU.

Cameron's made all sorts of nifty things following the youtube instructions including working pinball machine-type games!

Cameron has shelves in his room that he puts his bins of Legos on.

Smaller on the Outside

June 22nd, 2012, 06:33 PM
I have never been to one of these Lego stores, at least not since having kids. Not sure what to expect, but I was hoping they will have just pieces where I can get some of the main color schemes he has and some of the big flat pieces and interesting things like hinges. Is that available? I am so not wanting to buy any more $30-50 little sets. He asks for those all the time and they are available anywhere around here, and too expensive for everyday occasions.

June 23rd, 2012, 04:51 AM
Yup, all LEGO stores have a wall where you buy a cup or box and can fill it with whatever individual bricks you want. They also have stands where you can build mini-figs the way you want them.

Smaller on the Outside

June 23rd, 2012, 07:27 AM
Yep! Those walls are super cool, but it's where you can go overboard if you're not careful. Do some quick mental math while you're there to figure out how much the individual bricks and/or mini-figs cost as part of a unit or sold separately. Getting a few is fine, but when you get a lot that way, you end up spending way more in the long run.
June 28th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a ridiculous amount of Legos as my sister is a Lego fanatic and buys them all the time for the kids! The Duplos are in the living room(aka play area) in 4 bins of various sizes for zoo/animal sets, fire/police/city sets, Cars sets, and then misc bricks.

The regular Lego kits are kept in baggies with the pieces and instructions. ~100 qt bin of those. Then the bricks are sorted by size, wheels, plants/trees/flowers, etc and put into baggies and in bins. These are all kept in the boys' closet. Last summer my then 3 year old stuck a light in his nose, resulting in an ER visit (only to have it work its way loose after he fell asleep on me waiting for the DR) so the Legos were sent to the closet and are only played with in their room(only toy allowed up there) or at the kitchen table.
July 12th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Veteran
The 3 older ones LOVE legos. They are pretty good at making stuff too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search