siblings

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BensMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Veteran
Does anyone here have a child that is not gifted? Does it cause fighting between them?

My oldest definitely shows signs of being gifted. My second i'm not sure about. When she was 14 months old, she was doing 48+ piece puzzles. She knows some multiplication too. She is 5. She is always competing with the oldest(he could care less) and getting mad when he does something better or faster than her. In a way I like it because it makes her try harder but of course I don't want her comparing herself to her siblings because they're good at different things.
August 14th, 2012, 06:06 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids are all gifted (in my opinion) even though they haven't been all formally tested.

My oldest was never in a TAG program but I believe she is gifted - she just has ADD which overshadows her giftedness at times. But it has caused issues with my two oldest girls. Kelsey is gifted - she just isn't the same kind of over achiever as Erin and it has caused some arguments/teasing/name calling over the years.

I think as both of my girls are getting older (12 and 18) it is making them get a little closer.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

August 14th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Although my 10 year old is gifted (tested, so we know he is for sure), he has dyslexia and dysgraphia so that's what you see when you look at him. He's behind by about half a year (or a year and a half depending on cut-off dates). He is 19 months younger than his older sister and she's going into 9th grade this fall while he is halfway through 4th. He is 4 3/4 years older than his next brother. Fritz is going into 2nd grade and is doing 4th grade math... the same exact math as my 10 year old.

Thankfully, Cameron thinks his siblings' accomplishments are wonderful and he's proud of them. He also knows he has done amazing things overcoming his issues and is farther ahead than most people expect him to be at this point. So no problems here.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 14th, 2012, 08:26 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Both of mine are gifted, but in different ways. For example, my youngest is over-the-top creative, but my oldest doesn't have a creative bone in his body.

Siblings are different, it's true. My brother is profoundly gifted, but I'm only highly gifted. My dad is PG, and my mom is HG, so that's probably why. Given a spectrum of giftedness, that means if my brother were just gifted, I'd be average.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I expect my younger to reach or surpass my oldest in math in the next 2-3 years. I don't expect him to ever come close in language skill, though. They're different, and they're ok with it. That's how God made them, so they're proud of their differences and like to help each other.
August 14th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Veteran
Wow, that's great. My kids will brag to other people about what their siblings can do but when it comes down to school work, they're always asking who did better.

It's really interesting to see how all my kids are different. My 3 year old is super lazy and just started talking where you can understand him a few months ago.(Right around when he turned 3) He still has aways to go on speech but he picks things up very easily in regards to school work. He is already using the computer too lol. My baby, it seems, is going to be like the oldest. She is already saying dada, sissy,bubba(what we call our oldest), hi and "guys!". She does alot of things that I can't even tell people about because they think I'm lying since it's so far beyond a 9 month old. You all know how that goes lol.
August 14th, 2012, 04:30 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato4andc View Post
My 3 year old is super lazy and just started talking where you can understand him a few months ago.(Right around when he turned 3) He still has aways to go on speech but he picks things up very easily in regards to school work. He is already using the computer too lol.
Actually, you might be surprised to find that he's not lazy. He may be a perfectionist, instead. Some kids prefer to sit back and watch the world go by until they're absolutely sure in their own minds that they can do something right the first time, and then they'll jump in. Some kids prefer to jump now and ask questions later (which can be a very damaging trait to have, but for some reason, people are drawn to that personality more than the insightful, laid-back type). Sounds like the 3 year old might be smarter than you give him credit for, and will wow you out of nowhere several times over the next several years.
My2miracles likes this.
August 15th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
There are different types of giftedness as the others have said.

I really have issue with you saying your 3 year old is lazy because he didn't speak clearly until he was 3. Late speach development is not a sign of laziness. Please be careful of labeling him since he is different for your other child.

I have 2 children - girl 10 & boy 6. They are both very, very different.

Girl said her 1st clear words at 6 months. Was talking in full adult sentences at 15 months. Is highly verbal to this day. My son didn't say much until he was 3 & didn't really talk much until 4. He most likely will be in speech this year at school. He isn't lazy & he definitely is highly intelligent.

So while my dd was talking up a storm, she didn't crawl until 12 months, didn't stand until 14 months & didn't walk until 15 months. She wasn't delayed, didn't have any physical issues - she was just busy talking. She wasn't physical or athletic at all.

My son on the other had excelled in all things physical. At 2 he could throw a ball across a room and land it accurately & sometimes painfully in your hand. At 2, he was dribbling a basketball - not bouncing but actually dribbling. And no dad isn't a basketball play - he's a chef. He's definitely the kind of kid that sits back & analyzed the world. He isn't competive & find no need to show off. His pre-k teacher thought he didn't know his alphabet & numbers because when asked, he wouldn't respond to her. But he knew them well. He too was using the computer at a very young age.

At 1 point we thought we had the our mentally gift dd & our physically gifted ds. Well now they are surprising us. DD started gymnastics last fall. When she started she couldn't do a cartwheel, backflip or walk on the balance beam. She flew through the park district's beginners, intermediate & advance classes in less than 9 months. She was with kids who had been doing gymnastics since they were 3. We just moved her to a private gym because the park district wasn't enough for her. Even at the private gym she tested in the advance class (they warned her that she may have to start at a lower level).

Ds appears to be a math whiz. He's not a fan of writing but is reading up a storm.

They are very different kids but both are gifted.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Last edited by My2miracles; August 17th, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
August 17th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My 10 year old, who has been tested as gifted, didn't speak until he was 2 1/2. At all. And then he went straight to complete sentences.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 21st, 2012, 06:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's hard for me to say because mine are still so little. So far Beth seems to be my little reader. She loves to read and reads very well, so that makes her do well in anything school related. Matt reads well enough, but he really shines in math and is very mechanically minded. He's been taking things apart and putting them back together (sometimes - ha!) since he was very little. I don't have any child prodigy type kids. To me they seem like normal children who are curious and bright.
August 22nd, 2012, 04:34 PM
Veteran
Apparently I should've worded it different. I didn't mean he is lazy because he CAN'T talk. When he doesn't want to do something simply because he doesn't WANT to, that is lazy. That is how HE is.
August 24th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not sure if it's because he's lazy or just doesn't want to do it. There's a huge difference. I guess I struggle with putting such a negative label on such a young child.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search