Well we got her test results

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2012, 02:44 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The school gave Rachel a Stanford-Binet Intelligence test. She scored 114 on the verbal and 103 on the nonverbal and the total was 108. I'm still ticked they would not take her but me and hubby had our words with the school. She will start Kindergarden next year but we will be doing plenty of education at home untill then. So I told them "Fine, next year when she is bored and disrupting class( she is disruptive when she gets bored) I told them I don't want to see a single note sent home, I do not want a single complaint from them, And I want them next year to actually have a gifted coordinator ready for her because I know how she is going to be." Unfortunately the principal we had was my former Jr. high math teacher who knew me for sleeping in class and passing every math test with a 98% average. Apparently I still have the same temper I had at school and he called me out on it. I guess that was'n the best foot to start out on.
August 17th, 2012, 03:54 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Do they have a gifted program for Kdg?! The ones around here don't start until at least 3rd grade, and you have to score at least 125 to get in! That would be great if they do!

I begged our district to take Ben and/or put him in a gifted program (state law says they have to, but local districts say they have final say... they refused). He scored way higher than the minimum, but they said they don't accept outside testing, and reiterated that they don't do ANY testing until 3rd grade. It's part of the reason we homeschool. This will be our 4th year HS'ing, and it's going better than I ever imagined. We won't be using the so-called "gifted" program the schools offer. Now that I know what they offer here, I know it's a joke.

Last edited by BensMom; August 17th, 2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
August 17th, 2012, 07:49 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
Do they have a gifted program for Kdg?! The ones around here don't start until at least 3rd grade, and you have to score at least 125 to get in! That would be great if they do!

I begged our district to take Ben and/or put him in a gifted program (state law says they have to, but local districts say they have final say... they refused). He scored way higher than the minimum, but they said they don't accept outside testing, and reiterated that they don't do ANY testing until 3rd grade. It's part of the reason we homeschool. This will be our 4th year HS'ing, and it's going better than I ever imagined. We won't be using the so-called "gifted" program the schools offer. Now that I know what they offer here, I know it's a joke.

I have to agree with Bensmom. TAG programs here are a joke too. Although, it was better than the nothing my daughter got when she moved to middle school!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

August 18th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm actually not surprised they didn't take her with those scores. 100 is average with a standard deviation of 16 on that test. She'd have to score 116 before being even one standard deviation above "normal." In other words, she is not considered gifted, she is considered just slightly above average. It is common for kids who are not actually gifted to be ahead in the first few years of elementary school. They usually even out by about third grade. I'm surprised they have gifted education starting in K, too. I remember Kindergarten. I was reading at 3 1/2 and then in K they had us learning our letters. Sure, it was beneath me, but back then there was still plenty of playtime and the crafts we did learning those letters were pretty fun. No gifted education until 3rd grade.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 18th, 2012, 05:54 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I just looked up the code for Ohio. Basically, the screening score is up to individual districts, because they can submit a form to the state to change what they consider gifted, but the standard score for gifted services is 127. That doesn't surprise me since it's 125 here and was 130 when I was in school. I also didn't see early kdg as an option in their list of acceleration options, but I did see a case of a girl named Helen who was allowed to take K and 1st simultaneously before being evaluated by the IAS for 2nd grade. Gifted education is only partially funded by the state in OH, so districts are left to figure out where the money will come from for those who are identified.

Last edited by BensMom; August 18th, 2012 at 06:00 AM.
August 21st, 2012, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Perhaps you should homeschool your daughter or pay for private school. You can tell them whatever you want, but they aren't going to bend their policies or hire additional staff just to please you. I'm not telling you that to be mean, but rather as a heads up. I agree with the other ladies as well. A gifted program is a nice bonus, but it will not increase the level of her education. It is generally an enrichment program only.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search