Friends

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shari626

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2012, 11:11 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Do your gifted children prefer a lot of good friends or just a few very close friends (or prefer to be alone)?

Do they prefer children their own ages, younger, or older?
August 28th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
For the most part Ani prefers people a year or two older, but she has friends ranging from 9 years old to 15 years old. All the boys' friends are around their own ages.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 28th, 2012, 02:51 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Erin seems to gravitate towards older for some reason. She does have friends her own age, but if put in a room with 50 kids of varying ages - she would come out with only friends that are older.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

August 28th, 2012, 08:13 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Both of mine gravitate toward kids 1-2 years older for their "good friends", but they enjoy acquaintances who are a variety of ages (1-99). They both prefer to be with a small group of really close friends than with lots of kids they only sort of know.
August 28th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Veteran
This is really hard for my kids. My 7 year old does not talk or think like a 7 year old but wants to play like any other 7 year old if that makes sense. But he gets looks all the time because the kids his age don't know what he's talking about. My 5 year old is super shy so she sticks to her siblings and cousins only right now.
August 29th, 2012, 03:33 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I constantly have to remind myself that Erin is only 12! She is tall with really long legs and looks much older. I wonder if that's why she hangs out with older kids or is it the same intellectual level? Erin is as tall as Kelsey who is 18 and she is now wearing a 9.5 woman's shoe! When I took her to her new school for an orientation, the woman assumed she was going into 9th grade. The other day the girls were in the store together and Kelsey was talking to the cashier about college and the woman asked Erin if she was going to college too. Kelsey gets mad because she looks young and Erin looks older. I told her that someday she would appreciate looking young.
HS&Fsmom likes this.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

August 29th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
For Ani, it's the intellectual level of older kids. She doesn't really look older (except her figure lol) and she's definitely not tall. She's perfected the art of "dumbing down" to play with kids her own age or younger, though, so she fits in fine with any kid.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 29th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Beth seems to play best with kids her age or up to a few years older. She is my social butterfly and is always chatting with someone.
August 29th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Lucy plays well with kids of all ages. She is better suited intellectually with older kids. But she's super tiny - she's the size of the average 1st grader and she's 10. She had a best friend who was 2 years older for about a year. Then the girl went to Jr High & decided she couldn't be friends with someone 2 years younger.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
September 1st, 2012, 05:54 AM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugo definitely seeks older kids or even adults. He craves adult conversation but he's really thrilled when he finds kids that want to play and talk on his level. His best friends are his cousin in 2nd grade and his "girlfriend" (5, but in 1st grade). My mom's neighbor has grandsons who are between 6-8 I believe and he really enjoys the playdates with them too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search