Missing School

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BensMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2012, 06:31 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
How do you determine whether or not a child is sick enough to miss school when they DON'T have fever?
October 15th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I keep kids home who have a fever, who are throwing up or have diarrhea, have pink eye, have a weird rash I think might be contagious, or who I think are too tired or sick to participate. If they just have a cold I send them.
October 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So far Nathan hasn't missed school except for a week ago whe nwe had to go to an out of town wedding. Luckily he's a healthy kid. I've sent him with a runny nose and a slight cough which stays away with a small dose of OTC meds. Like mentioned above, if he had a fever or diarrhea or was vomiting, etc I would keep him home.
October 16th, 2012, 07:10 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I do this for a living (work with chronically absent students), so there is a policy that the local school system uses. They have to remain home for 24 hours after the last symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, or fever. In my child's case if he has a breathing treatment and doesn't improve (which usually means we are heading toward hospital anyway) he would stay home, but usually it's pneumonia with that and there's a fever with that. Otherwise it would have to be broken bone or a communicable disease (chicken pox, etc.)

October 19th, 2012, 08:33 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We homeschool, so my rule is that if you're well enough to play with legos and xbox, you're well enough to do school work. If you feel like sleeping, you don't have to do school work.
mamato4andc likes this.
October 25th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Veteran
It's gut instinct more than anything. I use the "well, we can't have unexcused absences so go to school and if you just don't feel well go to the nurse so we can have an excused absence." There have only been a handful of times that kids actually went to the nurse. Most of the time they get there and start feeling fine and just stay the rest of the day and come home feeling fine and playing with their friends.
Sometimes though you just know they simply don't feel well and need some rest - then I just tell them to go back to bed.

October 26th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Veteran
My kids are rarely sick. In fact out of the 3 years my son has been in school, he has only missed school for being sick twice. Once because he asked to go to bed and he never sleeps so that was obvious and the other because he had a headache which he never gets so again obvious for us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search