Keeping Kids Healthy

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 8forus

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2012, 01:49 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Do you give your kids vitamins? Do they willingly eat lots of colorful, high-fiber, natural foods, or do they prefer processed foods? What do they prefer to drink (and do you let them drink that all the time, if it's something like sodas)?
October 22nd, 2012, 04:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't give them vitamins. They are good eaters. They're not really old enough for sodas. They have juice with breakfast, milk at lunch and dinner, and water in between.

Beth is my pickiest eater, but she isn't bad. She loves fruits and vegetables, but not much meat or mixed dishes.I wonder if she will be a vegetarian when she grows up.
October 22nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is funny b/c I'm simultaneously reading about cold and flu prevention. I really want to keep Hugo out of the hospital and pneumonia-free this winter. That is what I was thinking the thread might be about.

I do give mine vitamins when we remember. They don't eat much. They eat, just not large amounts. They are both near the low end of the weight curve. They drink milk (made with fortified chocolate mix) and some juice. Sometimes, eating out, etc. they get lemonade or fruit punch. They don't get soda. Hugo might get some 7up if he's sick, but otherwise we don't drink a lot of it. He knows it is full of sugar. Sergio hates soda.

Hugo says he's a vegetarian and has since he was 2.5. He is recently most upset over a roast pig on a spit he saw on TV and also asks about the concept of slaughterhouses... oy.

October 25th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Veteran
I think this is my first post in G&T so I'll make sure to do an introduction in a few minutes

Do you give your kids vitamins?
No, I do not give vitamins in the traditional sense of the word. Our vitamins are through herbal drinks.

Do they willingly eat lots of colorful, high-fiber, natural foods, or do they prefer processed foods?
Yes & No. They prefer processed foods BUT when their only options are healthy, colorful, high-fiber, natural foods then they eat them ... and they do so with a pretty good attitude most of the time. Of course, they know that the only other option is to go hungry. I deal with several food allergies between several kids and myself so it's already difficult enough to get dinner made.

What do they prefer to drink (and do you let them drink that all the time, if it's something like sodas)?
They prefer sweet tea and soda - soda is a rare drink and sweet tea is a glass a day type of drink. Otherwise they have mostly water, fruit smoothies, herbal teas, and sometimes juice. During the winter I make them homemade hot chocolate with cocoa powder, vanilla, almond milk, and sugar on the weekends and the first day of winter break.

I had read somewhere about someone wanting to know how to help keep kids well during the winter months. Originally I thought it was this thread but realize it is not. But here is what we do anyway:
I give lots of garlic, honey, and cinnamon throughout the winter. We also drink a good bit of garlic or ginger lemonade (sounds yucky but I promise it's not - it only smells strong). I spray the house with a mixture of rubbing alcohol, tea tree oil, and other essential oils known for killing germs (it's my version of lysol). We all use the neti pot often as well. At the first sign of a sore throat I have the kids gargling with a cup of warm water and stevia extract (kills strep throat, too, just fyi). At the first sign of a sinus infection or head cold, I increase the garlic and honey plus the use of the neti pot. We've really cut down on how sick we all get by doing these preventative measures and when someone gets sick with "what's going around" we're all sick a great deal shorter span than everyone else and bounce back faster. So I'm pretty pleased with it.
mamato4andc likes this.

Last edited by 8forus; October 25th, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
October 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Veteran
We give them a regular vitamin, vitamin c and probiotics.

They eat fruits and vegetables willingly because they've seen when they don't, they don't feel as well.

They drink water and milk. Sometimes juice but it has to be 100% juice. They get soda few times a year(at parties) but only a cup.

We also do honey and lemon if they think they're getting a sore throat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search