Momma brag!!

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By BensMom
  • 1 Post By HS&Fsmom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2013, 12:01 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ben's first spelling bee was today! This was for all homeschoolers in the metro, grades K thru 8th (he's registered as 1st grade, based on age). He came in 7th place over-all, and he got a framed award for best sportsmanship! (Seriously... sportsmanship is NOT his strong suit, so I was more thrilled about that than the 7th place thing.) Honestly, he should've won. He got nervous on stage and reversed two letters (evaluate = evaulate). He knew that, and every single word after that. Next year, he'll be less stressed out about the whole thing. I'm very proud!
FandJsmomma and mamato4andc like this.
January 13th, 2013, 08:19 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's awesome!! What a proud mama you must be!!! Way to go Ben!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

January 13th, 2013, 05:57 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's awesome!! Our district only allows 4th-8th to compete (though technically, he should count as 4th).

January 13th, 2013, 08:22 PM
I didn't realize it's open to ALL age! I thought it was only for middle school, too, until I saw that 6 year old that made it to Washington last year, and then Ben's psychologist recommended entering him after seeing his test scores last year. He's still upset that he lost over something so stupid, and he's not sure he wants to try again next year. I think he'll change his mind at some point and want back into it, though. It's just that he's such a darn perfectionist!! He's much more interested in the NatGeo Bee, though. I think the NatGeo Bee would be harder, but that's his passion. I'm allowing him to start studying for it, even though he wont' be allowed to participate until 4th by age (I believe... again, I may be wrong about that.)
January 15th, 2013, 04:11 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The Nat Geo Bee is harder, or was in the 90s. I competed in both. I went to the National Spelling Bee but not the National Nat Geo one.
He can always get the basics down now and then get the current stuff when he's "4th grade" age.
shari626 likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Interesting!! I didn't know that!!
March 14th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran
That's great! The first time is always the hardest ~ now he's an old pro and will be less nervous next time!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search