New Here - Need some advice!

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Veteran
My daughter is in 2nd grade at a public school. She received a score of 133 through private testing.

The next step in the process is for her teacher to complete a "needs assessment". Her teacher has expressed to me on a few occasions that she basically doesn't believe in/agree with the process the school uses for identifying gifted kids and that in her opinion, only 2 of the kids in each gifted class are "truly gifted" - the other are just high achieving, smart kids.
That being said, the teacher has expressed some concern in filling out the needs assessment for my daughter. My daughter tends to be a quiet observer at school who takes it all in, so not one of the "typical" outspoken, verbally inquisitive types. She's a totally different kid at home, but I think because she tends to be quiet at school (but not really shy), the teacher says she doesn't know if she'll be able to meet the "need" requirement since they look for things like taking leadership or being an excellent communicator.

We are going to meet next week to discuss the paperwork, but in the mean time, I wanted to get some advice on how best to approach the situation.

Thank you!
January 24th, 2013, 12:40 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
You absolutely need to read this book or give the author a call (she works at the Gifted Development Center in Denver... she's the one who tested my oldest son last year). She will give you ideas, either through the book (free) or over the phone (for a consulting fee) to advocate for yourself and/or she will contact the school herself (for a fee) to advocate on your behalf. Your daughter's teacher, and the system as a whole, really has no clue what it's talking about, because most kids who are truly gifted, not just hard-workers, are introverts. (Her book says "Barbara" Gilman, but if you call, ask for "Bobbie".)

Academic Advocacy for Gifted Children: A Parent's Complete Guide: Barbara Jackson Gilman: 9780910707886: Amazon.com: Books
January 25th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
You absolutely need to read this book or give the author a call (she works at the Gifted Development Center in Denver... she's the one who tested my oldest son last year). She will give you ideas, either through the book (free) or over the phone (for a consulting fee) to advocate for yourself and/or she will contact the school herself (for a fee) to advocate on your behalf. Your daughter's teacher, and the system as a whole, really has no clue what it's talking about, because most kids who are truly gifted, not just hard-workers, are introverts. (Her book says "Barbara" Gilman, but if you call, ask for "Bobbie".)

Academic Advocacy for Gifted Children: A Parent's Complete Guide: Barbara Jackson Gilman: 9780910707886: Amazon.com: Books
Thank you so much! I will definitely check it out!
January 25th, 2013, 06:16 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Oh, and just for your own information, you can also find tons of articles here:

Davidson Articles

SENG Resource Library

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search