What's everyone up to???

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Butter

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2013, 05:27 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Updates??? I miss you guys!!!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

June 12th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We moved to Texas and are getting all settled in.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 12th, 2013, 03:27 PM
That was a rather pathetic update, wasn't it?

My husband - Settling into his new location very nicely. He's still pretty much doing the same job he did before just from TX rather than the DC area. He is enjoying the much more laid back atmosphere here. Jeans and polo shirts are perfectly acceptable work attire. He will probably start doing the compressed work schedule soon (8 9-hour days, 1 8-hour day, and 1 day off every 2 weeks) and possibly start working from home a day or two a pay period.

Me - Going crazy keeping all of our doctor and dentist appointments straight. Everybody needs teeth cleanings and since they had to squeeze us in everyone has appointments on different days. And of course Ani and Cameron have orthodontist appointments. Anihas to see a neurologist next month about her migraines. I've also been working on getting the house organized. I am very close to resigning as a chef and just letting everyone have cereal in the mornings and PB&J in the afternoons. They are rarely impressed with what I make and end up eating those things anyway. It'd save money right?

Ani - Auditioned for a creative writing magnet on Monday. She learned about them a while back and we sent in her portfolio last month. She had to provide a bunch of samples of her writing, write an essay about why she wanted to attend the magnet/what she could offer to the program, and send in a bunch of things like report cards and recommendations from people. Monday she wrote something using some words from a list they gave her and had an interview with the director and two other authors. Today we got a call that she got in! So Monday we go an register her for 9th grade. She'll have 2-3 creative writing specific classes a day and the rest mixed in with the regular high school. We may have a small fight on our hands since she should be entering 8th by age, but we have test scores and a portfolio supporting that she has completed 8th and so far no one seems to think going into 9th is an issue. We'll see Monday I guess. Right now she is at camp until Saturday so she doesn't even know she got into the magnet program. I texted her best friend (who will also be doing the creative writing magnet starting next year) so even her friend knows before her.

Cameron - Is learning a lot about computers and spends a lot of time on Minecraft. He's not looking forward to starting 6th grade in the fall. He'll have a special reading class just for dyslexics. Hopefully that'll be good for him. He goes to camp next week. It's just a 3 day day camp full of 11 year old boys.

Fritz - Will be 7 in just one month. He still loves math and his reading is catching up nicely. He loves that we have a room full of empty boxes from our move. That room will be my parents' room, but they aren't moving here for another year so we figure the boys can play with those boxes as long as they want. Yesterday we added huge washer and dryer boxes to the collection. He'll be going into second grade, but they told us that if we want to we can challenge him into 3rd after the school year starts. I lean toward NOT doing that because he is already on the young side for second grade and not extremely mature for his age. I guess once school starts we'll decide. They tend to teach to the top of the class here and the kids all rise to meet that level. School is very different here than it was where we used to live. I could give my kids a better education at home there. Here... possibly not.

Adrian - Will be 5 a week from today. He is very excited about going to kindergarten. His reading ability has taken off recently. He loves watching Super Why on the PBS Kids channel on the Roku. He has always been a typical youngest. Very laid back and quite immature compared to other kids his age with younger siblings. In the last few weeks he had noticeably matured.

So there you go. Real updates lol

Smaller on the Outside

June 13th, 2013, 07:28 AM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I'm pretty new around these parts but I'll update

Allison is getting ready to start first grade. We are adjusting to a new schedule because DH is working longer hours/out of town more and I am going back to work in August! I will be teaching preschool 5 days a week. Allison is getting used to homeschooling in the evenings, instead of the mornings. It works well because she does her school work while I cook dinner. She's a bit of an independent kid so she prefers to get the instructions and do the work without me.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
June 13th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Veteran
Aw. I love the long update!

Here is mine in a nutshell.
Me: Terrible. 3rd case of mastitis since Fiona was born, feeling physically and mentally just awful.

Fiona: Absolutely perfect. Thank God. She is a trooper, sleeps very well and only complains when in a carseat where she screams her bloody head off the whole ride. Which makes for very little getting out of the house, but whatever, I am not that up to it anyway.

DH: Working a lot, plus trying to keep up the house so I can try to recover every time I get sick. A few golf outings scheduled which I envy, but I am trying to keep him pacified to take care of the rest of us.

Hugo: Despite lack of a lot of activities now he's making his own stuff to do. Favorite thing lately is making "whiteprints" (blueprints doesn't make sense to him if the paper is white- LOL). He draws what he wants to build out of Lego/Playmobil figures then builds it. Getting a pen pal to keep up his good handwriting stamina. Taking great care of his sister and things around the house when I am not able- getting burp cloths or a drink for me, singing to the baby when fussy, etc. I signed him up for a mini performing arts camp the week after I go back to work.

Sergio: Was super passionate about swim lessons when they were taking them last month. Signed them back up for next month when DH can do the driving back and forth. He makes up games with Hugo every day and they do really well together about 90% of the time. S holds his own when his brother antagonizes him but he does his fair share of the antagonizing too. They have different personalities but they balance each other. He loves to talk to "Fifi" every day and asks to carry her so I have to watch out.
June 13th, 2013, 08:32 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We moved to Texas and are getting all settled in.

LOL How do you like Texas so far? I am jealous that you moved somewhere completely different. I have always wanted to do that - just move somewhere far from here. I think that's exciting!!

A room full of boxes sounds fun!!

The kids sound like they are doing great and Ani is going to be thrilled when she hears the news!!

Here is mine in a nutshell.
Me: Terrible. 3rd case of mastitis since Fiona was born, feeling physically and mentally just awful.

That's awful. I am sorry you have had mastitis so much - I know it's not a pleasant experience. Wish you were closer - I would help you out!!

The kids sound like they are doing well and glad that they are helpful.

Thank you for the update! Are you excited to be going back to work or nervous? It was hard for me to go back to work after such a long time being a stay at home mom.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

June 14th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shari626 View Post
How do you like Texas so far?
We love it here! Everyone is so nice. Even the weather isn't bad (it's less humid here, though San Antonians will tell you the humidity is terrible - they clearly have not experienced mid-Atlantic humidity).
shari626 likes this.

Smaller on the Outside

June 15th, 2013, 07:43 AM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Quote:
Originally Posted by shari626 View Post

Thank you for the update! Are you excited to be going back to work or nervous? It was hard for me to go back to work after such a long time being a stay at home mom.
I'm looking forward to going back to work because my kids are coming with me. It's one of my job perks of teaching preschool. My daughter will be in the preschool class and my son will hang out in my classroom with me. My daughter is super excited because she will get to have gymnastics class 5 days a week at the preschool (it's part of the curriculum and the school is in a gymnastics studio).

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
June 15th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Great thread! Thanks for starting it!

We have just been running, running, running. In May we had Noah's 7 birthday party - 13 boys & girls in our backyard. Then last weekend we had Lucy's 11th birthday party - 18 girls & boys in our backyard. Add to that baseball (which Noah no longer likes), dance, swim & both of us with full-time jobs it's a bit crazy & exhausting.

This week is Lucy's dance recital week. She dances 4 dances in 3 shows over 2 days next weekend. Wed & Thurs she has 3 full dress rehearsals and I work back stage. Very exhausting but fun!

My stepdaughter's coming to stay with us for a few weeks stating Monday. So that's good.

Oh yeah & we remodeled our kitchen. It isn't done yet but we have new cabinents, countertops, sink, dishwasher & stove. We still have to paint & do the backsplash.

The pool is up & running so even though the weather isn't cooperating much, we are enjoying summer.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search