OT

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Veteran
I don't know where else to ask. Anyone in here have a kid with speech problems? I'm trying to find something to help him that he'll enjoy doing.
August 15th, 2013, 09:50 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Did you mean ST? OT is occupational therapy. It's for fine motor skills. PT is physical therapy for gross motor skills. ST is speech therapy. Speech therapists work with a number of issues from feeding, to sound formation, to social skills (like for autistic kids).

My older son has been in both PT and OT most of his life. We "see" ST at our office even though he doesn't use those services. I know the ladies, and I see the kids they work with. The kids have a lot of fun when they're there, and they really open up if they're shy, too.

Do you already know the root of the speech problems? If not, I'd call a pediatric therapy office and ask about getting an evaluation. Most insurance companies will cover the eval whether or not they cover the actual services afterward.
August 19th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
hmm I read that as Off Topic. Funny how different perspectives are.

DS has minor speech issues & goes to speech therapy through the school.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 19th, 2013, 03:50 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Hadn't even thought of that!
August 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
And it didn't occur to me that it was meant for Occupational therapy

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 23rd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Veteran
Yeah, that was supposed to mean Off Topic.

He has been tested through the school. They didn't say why he has speech problems but a pediatrician said it doesn't look like he has any physical problems stopping him.

He was actually going to speech through the public school but they found out we are not in their school district and dropped him. The other schools are horrible so that's not an option. Do you know any websites that could help him?
August 24th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
How old is he? Fritz was not understandable more than 75% of the time and did a few months of speech therapy when he was 5. We had to take him to a private place and pay for it ourselves because we were homeschooling and in MD they won't provide any services including ST unless you attend the public schools. I'm not sure it really did any good. What did help was reminding him to slow down and just practicing words with him. He's 7 now and easy to understand. He grew out of his speech issues.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 26th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran
He turned 4 the end of May. I've just been correcting everything he says wrong and doing flashcards with him. I have noticed improvements on some letters but j and g are really hard for him.
August 28th, 2013, 09:42 AM
It's very normal for a barely 4 year old to have trouble pronouncing several letters including j and g.

Smaller on the Outside

August 29th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran
Even though his 21 month old sister is easier to understand?
August 29th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Yup. Kids develop speech at very different speeds and it doesn't matter if another kid is easier to understand as long as they are getting their sounds at the proper time (th is the last - and it is fine for a kid to mispronounce th until they turn 8!). My youngest was much easier to understand than his older brother for a while and Adrian had some sounds Fritz didn't, but even though Fritz had speech therapy, those missing sounds were not an issue because they were age appropriate (his problem was mostly trying to talk too fast).

Smaller on the Outside

August 31st, 2013, 01:16 AM
Veteran
Do you have any ideas on how to help him with those sounds? I was able to teach him t-h, c/k and g sounds if they're at the beginning of the word but still have to remind him to do it. He can't do any blends with r, he replaces them with l. A lot of times, nothing of what he says is understandable. My husband almost never knows what he is saying (
August 31st, 2013, 07:21 AM
Just have him repeat words with those sounds, but realize that still may not work because they are still developmentally appropriate for him to not be able to say them clearly at his age. Sometimes reminding them to slow down helps in being understandable.

Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search