Non gifted siblings

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By My2miracles

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know this board is quite but I'm hoping for some advice.

Do any of your gifted kids have kids that aren't gifted or as gifted as others? This just came up for us when my stepdaughter was visiting. She's 15 1/2 and gifted dd just turned 12. We were playing family game night & dd said something about being the odd man out because she had a different type of card from the rest of us. Since dd has issues with not being dh bio kids while dsd & ds are, I quickly said something like "well you've always been unique & special"

Dsd melted. I was clueless. Then we went into the other room and talked. She said she felt 2nd to dd and that dd has already surpassed her (especially in dance). Now that is true but dsd is very talented. She has an awesome singing voice, got a lead in the high school play as a sophomore, etc.

Our situation is a little more complicated because we only see dsd 3-4 times per year because she lives in another state.

But how do you deal with your less gifted kids (for lack of a better term). Dd & dsd are really close and I never want this to interfere with that.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 8th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry. I don't know yet but am struggling some with this so I hope someone else has more insight, too.

DH adopted my 3 DD from my first marriage. His first bio child (a girl) was born 5 weeks ago. I'm a little worried that baby will feel differently than the others if she's not gifted. But I'm already dealing with one child feeling less smart (her words) than her sisters.

E and V (twins) are both gifted but V is quite a hit higher. E has noticed and has been bothered by it this summer. They used to be in the same class during the regular day but for 2nd grade are going to be separated. I hope helps. Older sister is also more gifted than E but I can blame it on her being older.

I keep trying emphasize what E is good at, too. That's my only advice, keep playing up what DSD excels at doing.

Best wishes
August 18th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for responding! That's exactly what I'm going to do. DSD has a lead in her school play in Nov and we are making the trek to the hinterlands as a family to see it. She lives in a town of 200 people in the middle of Wisconsin. I'm also encouraging her singing. She has a beautiful voice.

Good luck with your situation. I'm lucking because it's not constantly in our faces. We only have to deal with it a few times a year. Now that I'm aware of her issue, I can be careful of what I say. I was trying to bring her into our lives by telling all of dd's accomplishments not realizing that I was making her feel bad .
Spottts likes this.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search