Check out this blog from teachers.net

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Regular
I go to the teachers.net site from time to time. I recieved this today in an email from my listserv. The topic starts out okay but then someone jumps in with downright nastiness about speicla needs children. I had quite a lot to say about this, as I have special needs children. This Ga teacher posted under the names: sickening and vomiting etc. This witch lit a fire up my tail boy she really pissed me off!! I posted my responses under the name: unbelievable!

It has turned into a big debate over who is right, this teacher is clearly wrong for saying what she did. Here is the link for the main remark that rub us parents raw

http://teachers.net/states/ga/topic2982/4....8.13.27.22.html You can scroll down to the bottom to read all the postings to this if you like. She just really infuriates me that a teacher would say this, she dare not give us her name or the school where she resides.

Oh and here is the post directed at me, I guess I hit a nerve, huh? http://teachers.net/states/ga/topic2982/4....8.15.07.53.html

scum of the earth, to say I am shocked and offended is an understatement. Would you want this teacher in your childs classroom?
April 14th, 2008, 08:41 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my wow, what a horrible teacher. I wish there was some way to find out who she is and force her out of the classroom. What kind of behaviors is she teaching the rest of her normal kids. Yes, it was wrong of the autistic boy to bite his teacher and yes, the parents need to be involved, but honestly, if this was that kids teacher, I don't blame him for biting her. Wiuth an attitude like that, I would have bit her too because I am sure she can't hide these feelings in the classroom.

My dd is autistic as well as visually impaired with some mental retardation. Now we do our best to eliminate aggression and reduce her outbursts. She has only ever bitten someone once, but has hit and slapped people. Now without the behavior support that these parents need, the child cannot control his impulses. The child does not learn normally and needs some form of behavior modification to learn to appropriately express his frustration/anger/fear, whatever he was feeling at the time. Should the child have been disciplined, yes, should he have been arrested, no. I mean normal children bite and hit and scratch as well, but because the punishment gets through to them, there are less problems. There seems to be a total lack of communication and more intense therapy needs to be applied. I am all for the least restrictive environment, but it is possible that the environment the child is in, is not appropriate at this time. As a parent, i am always evaluating that. As the classroom structure and dynamics change, is there a more appropriate setting.
April 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Regular
Quote:
Oh my wow, what a horrible teacher. I wish there was some way to find out who she is and force her out of the classroom. What kind of behaviors is she teaching the rest of her normal kids. Yes, it was wrong of the autistic boy to bite his teacher and yes, the parents need to be involved, but honestly, if this was that kids teacher, I don't blame him for biting her. Wiuth an attitude like that, I would have bit her too because I am sure she can't hide these feelings in the classroom.

My dd is autistic as well as visually impaired with some mental retardation. Now we do our best to eliminate aggression and reduce her outbursts. She has only ever bitten someone once, but has hit and slapped people. Now without the behavior support that these parents need, the child cannot control his impulses. The child does not learn normally and needs some form of behavior modification to learn to appropriately express his frustration/anger/fear, whatever he was feeling at the time. Should the child have been disciplined, yes, should he have been arrested, no. I mean normal children bite and hit and scratch as well, but because the punishment gets through to them, there are less problems. There seems to be a total lack of communication and more intense therapy needs to be applied. I am all for the least restrictive environment, but it is possible that the environment the child is in, is not appropriate at this time. As a parent, i am always evaluating that. As the classroom structure and dynamics change, is there a more appropriate setting.[/b]

The blog has generated so many responses, esp to this teacher. She sounds so hateful and resentful, she wouldnt give her name up, I chimed in quite a few times on the blog. The child that the original poster was talking about wasnt arrested, but recently here in GA an autistic child was arrested for biting his teacher, 8 yrs old. How did they manage that when juvenile court wont touch a child under the age of 10.

I have begun to have issues with my son's teacher. He is 4 and in spec needs preK, she has sent the school social worker to my house because she said he smelled like pee, he is still working on potty training and she is not following the IEP goals, he has extra clothes if needed but she doesnt change him, she sic the SW on me like Im at fault. Its not just that either, Im going to have her for breakfast tommorrow morning at his annual review. All of a sudden she will not communicate with me, though Ive sent numerous emails I understand she doesnt want get her hands dirty but her not communicating directly to me as oppsed to the SW is seriously affecting the teacher parent relationship, she always has before so why not now
April 15th, 2008, 07:55 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what a really bad thing to do. I mean, first of all, not following the IEP (my dd is almost 6, and still not potty trained) for potty training goals, leaving him in soiled clothes and then siccing the SW on you, what a crock. Definately drag her through the coals at your annual review. She deserves it. And especially to be totally uncommunicative with you, that's just plain wrong.
April 16th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That almost made me cry and definitely hits my "hot" button

Its sad that people have that attitude and obviously the ones who posted that were teachers who wanted the parents to send their children to "special" schools, have no idea of how the system works. I'm sure there are many parents who would love to have their children sent to schools that are more tailored to their childs needs but they are very expensive so if parents can't afford it, they have to prove that the school cannot provide what their child needs and the school district is to fund the childs education elsewhere. If the school is not in agreement, which they usually are not, it ends up in court. If we were to send all the children with special needs to special needs schools, guess who funds it? The taxpayers...and the price tag is high. Some of the schools we were looking into started at $80,000. How many kids could the school district afford to send and how many teachers would be upset because their salary might be affected...and their taxes?

I almost took my dd out of K when the one on one who worked with her had a FIT because dd had a bm in her pants. She let everyone know that it wasn't in her "job description" to be changing her. So, I told her that it was in "my job description" and all they had to do was call and I would come in and take care of it." The principals idea of "teaching her not to do that" was to make her sit in it for the rest of the day...which I made sure did NOT happen and had it, they would have been dealing with a lawyer real quick. The one on one also belittled dd for sucking her thumb and told her that it was K, not baby school. She quit her job without telling anyone and they hired someone else who was awesome. We moved and transferred her to another school the next year and have had wonderful people to work with since. She's in middle school now and the staff has been really good. She still has a pee accident a few times a week at school but has extra clothes and can take care of it on her own. The spec. ed teacher has her on a bathroom schedule to try to cut down on accidents.

I'm sorry that you are having trouble with the teacher at your sons PreK I hope things start to settle. Any way you can get him in somewhere else?
(((((hugs)))))

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Regular
Im going to call the BOE and see if I can get him transferred to the school in my district, The BOE had sent him to the school he is at now because the local school didnt have accomodations for him. Plus, there is a teacher who specializes with autism. It would be better for him, the school is 2 m from here versus 5m at his current school. At the IEP meeting his teacher said that he had a strong smell of urine in his diaper area, sometimes his pee is really strong. She said they are not allowed to communicate this to parent, they have to report to principal then principal decides whether to handle it himself or pass on to the social worker. Once during potty training at school, he pooped on himself and she made him clean himself up with babywipes, how well did she think a three yr old could clean himself up without assistance. I was pissed.

right now his class size is 11 and at the local school the class would be much larger, he does better in smaller groups.
April 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Hunter has had two poo accidents at school, and one was pretty big, diarreah-ish. The school nurse called me and told me what happened and asked if I would come in. Both times it happened with less than an hour left in the day, so I just took him home.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search