PLease welcome ElenaRobson

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2008, 07:21 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to Jm and to the LD and Special Ed board. I am Jennifer, mommy to Alexis who is visually impaired, autistic and has moderate MR. She is in special ed K, and is coming along very well in her new program.

How old is your son? Does he enjoy school?
May 13th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
Welcome, I am jennifer, mom to Alex who has mental retardation, some sensory concerns, and some other issues still being worked out. He is in special needs prek, and is entering K next year.
May 15th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Thank you. He is 10. He loves school some days, hates it others. We had a bullying problem this year, but it was handled.

For me, homeschooling was very hard. I had some medical problems at that time and things were a real struggle for a while. That has improved, so things are fine! Plus I am not naturally a special ed teacher, so I personally struggled. We were also terribly isolated.

He asked to go back to school this year, and so did his sibling, so I let them! They both want to continue next year. We have a homeschooling mentality, so our home life is lots of fun, and although they are missing out on things by going to school, we still do a ton of cool stuff after school and on weekends.

Sometimes he says he wants to be homeschooled again. He likes being social. Even though he has Asperger's, he loves being around kids.

Next year he will be going to a wonderful, very small private school that is set up for kids like him. If it "clicks" they he will stay. If not, I don't have a problem homeschooling him for middle or high school. It's a few years away, though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search