School

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM
pautumnsun's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son Aidan was recently diagnoses with PPD-NOS. I was told by the intensive intervention program to start the enrollment process for public school. The problem is I am not going to stay where I currently live because the special education is not to my standards. I am looking to move by September 1st. I already contacted the public school for the area where I live now but should I call the school system that I want to live? Will they even start the process even thought I am not a resident yet? Has anyone else ran in to this dilema? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
June 6th, 2008, 05:55 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I'm not sure they will start the process without you living there. However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to contact them and get information on the special education services. Explain your situation and they'll probably be of more assistance.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
June 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i agree, call the school disctrict, find out info from them and especially where they will place him. I know our school district has done placements as late as the last week of August.

June 16th, 2008, 10:23 PM
pautumnsun's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks. I did call the school system and unfortunately I do have to wait until I move there. They said that if I get the lease In August they can start the process then. I hate waiting though.
June 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I know what you mean, but in the mean time, make sure you have all of Aidan's records ready to transfer to the new school system so that there is no delay in them getting the information they need. That will hopefully speed the process up.

Oh and another thought. Does there special ed class usually fill up quickly, or will there be places available. You definately want to know that because if their program fills up and they don't have enough students to open a second class, he may have to be placed at a different program.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search