Hi all!

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
My name is Holly. I am 29 and married to Scott who is 34 and an EMT. I am mom to Marissa (12), Jonathan (10) & Cody (5). We live in Ohio. I am not completely new to JM, took a long break because of certain situations going on in my household.

My son Cody is learning disabled and is in special education. Let me give you a little background on him.

When he was born via c-section, he was 2 weeks early. Within an hour he developed a pneumo medial stinum and pulmonary hypertension. He was in the NICU for approx. 10 days. We thought everything was fine and until around the time he turned 3, he was developing normally. Then we noticed he wasn't talking like most kids his age. We took him for his 3 year well child exam and with spending only 15 minutes with him, the pediatrician suspected autism and recommended a developmental pediatrician, who after 2 visits refused to diagnose him as autistic because he was too "social". Also recommended we take him for a speech evaluation. He was in speech therapy for about 1.5 year and then after he started special-needs preschool in our district, we discontinued because he was receiving it at school. He spent 2 years in the preschool as a "disabled" child and his speech, motor skills and socialization has improved greatly.

On the 27th of last month we had a meeting to update his IEP and talk about his transition into kindergarten. At that time they changed his status from "disabled" to "learning disabled."

As of date, he is STILL not potty trained fully. He will urinate in it but will not poop, like he has a fear. The school is well aware and has teacher aides, apparently he is not the only child who is not potty trained entering kindergarten.

I just thought I would introduce myself and give a little background.

June 17th, 2008, 07:40 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome, I am Jennifer, mommy to Alexis who just turned 6 and finished her first year of special ed K. She is visually impaired, autistic, and has endocrine disorders. The "doctors" also say she is moderately mentally retarded, though we disagree with that, but that's another long story.

I am surprised about your son not being diagnosed with autism just because he is social. My dd is extremely social with adults and older children, her peers not so much, and if you ask on the autism board, there are many parents who have social children who have autism. But I am not the expert.

Also, my dd is not fully potty trained either. She is pretty well trained at home and at grandma's house, and sort of at school. She did not start potty training until this past Christmas. She will poop on the potty if she has to go when I put her on there, but mostly, she won't tell me she has to poop and will have an accident. I am not sure if she understands her body's warning. Also, she refuses to pee on any potty that is not ours, the one's at school, or the one at Grandma's house. She won't use the downstairs one at grandma's house, only the upstairs one. It can be very frustrating, I know.

I hope things go well for Cody when he starts school this fall. Please stick around, we love new members here.
June 17th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
One of my close friends who lives in Detroit is a teacher for autistic children and has spent some time with him and says with his experience, Cody fits all the signs.

I should prolly say that the developmental pediatrician is the ONLY one in our area and my DH took him to a neurologist while I was working and he didn't do much either and since then the neurologist has left town.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

June 17th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Another option would be a neuropyschologist. Thats who diagnosed my dd. Also, for the diagnosis, there are the three main categories the speech delay, the social aspects, and the (i forget the third buts its either the play behaviors or sensory areas). Each of these three pieces has 12 subcategories. If the child fits at least 6 of the 12 in all three categories, its autism. Doesn't matter what 6, as long as its 6 or more. Less than that, they are on the spectrum, so I suppose it is possible to not be autism, but for him to be somewhere on the spectrum.

If there is a neuropyschologist in the area, who may want to consider going there, at least for a second opinion. They will also make recommendations about school placements (ie type of setting, services the child should be receiving in school) so it may be beneficial to look into.
June 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the advice! I am going to look into that. No one suggested to me a neuropsychologist to me.

My DH is under the impression that CJ will just "snap out of it" but I am not so sure.

I should also explain my DH and his brothers (twins) were also LD. DH was in speech therapy till he was in the 6th grade. While back then, autism and other diagnoses were not widely diagnosed, I truly believe at least the twins were/are autistic. They do hold down a job and have their own apartment and one of them is engaged so it would be high-functioning.

June 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM
It sounds like it could be Asperger's for the twins. That is usually referred to as high functioning autism.

And if he's going into K and still having this issues, mostly likely he won't "just snap out of it." However, with the right therapies (speech, OT, PT, whatever he may need), there is no reason that you won't be able to get Cody high functioning if he truly does have autism or is on the spectrum. I know of some moms who have children on the spectrum and now that they are older, if you didn't know, you really wouldn't see it. You just might think they were quirky, so there is def. a lot of hope
June 26th, 2008, 09:35 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Hi, welcome!

I'm Yolanda and also live in Ohio! We are east of Cleveland and will be totally shocked if you are close to me because no one ever is! LOL

My son is Hunter and he is 10 with an autism diagnosis, high functioning. He has friends but isn't social in the way you'd expect. He talks to them but it's usually about what he wants to talk about, what he wants to do. He does answer people's questions, but eventually he gets back to what he wants to talk about.

He didn't pee in the toilet until 6 and didn't start pooping there until another year later. It was in his IEP and only the Kindergartet teacher gave us heck about that. I am actually still having poo issues with Hunter today.

Quote:
It sounds like it could be Asperger's for the twins. That is usually referred to as high functioning autism.[/b]
Hunter is considered high functioning, but he has speech delays. Asperger's typically doesn't involve speech delays.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search