Tuesday Check In

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey everyone, I know I have been a little MIA lately, and i am sorry about that.

How has everyone been doing? Any summer plans? Summer school?

We are hanging in there, Alexis is doing well, only one more week of school. We are excited about that. She will be having a summer program, but with our trip to Hershey for treatment for her feeding disorder, she may only end up in the summer program for 2 weeks. We will have to see what happens once we get our start date for her treatment. Hope things are going well for everyone else.
June 26th, 2008, 09:28 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Hi. I come and go.

I took Hunter to a gastro doc this week. He's been having bowel movements and goes in the morning, afternoon and evening, but he's been leaking poo for a few weeks now. Sometimes he'd have accidents because he wouldn't want to stop what he's doing, but now that he's at home for the summer I can remind him to go. Even with the reminder and me looking in the toilet to see the poo, but not always, he's having leakage.

I guess I don't know what I expected the doc to say besides what he did. He wanted me to give Hunter an enema, but Hunter is 10 and we did that three or four years ago and it was not fun. Instead I got him a laxative to help clean out his system in case he's just compacted in there. The doc also recommended some fiber (duh!). I don't know why I didn't think of that! So I picked up some crackers Hunter says taste good because I doubt he'd be able to swallow the pills.

If after a couple days on the laxitive and the box of crackers Hunter is still having problems we'll go back to the doc and he'll dig deeper. I just want to get this under control because I can't send him to his overnight, week long summer camp if he's constantly leaking poo. Hunter doesn't stop and clean himself up and put new underwear on, he just continues with his day. In the residence camp paperwork I mentioned that he must be reminded to go after each meal and before bed or else he won't and could have an accident. When I filled out that paperwork though, he wasn't having such a big problem with messy underwear like he is now.

We leave to spend two weeks at my parents house on Monday. Hunter's cousins are going to be there and I think he's looking forward to it.

Did you want to read all that? LOL

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

July 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Man I hear ya on all the poo problems. Ours aren't so involved, but we get serious constipation and my poor dd is 6 and probably has had at least 10 enemas in her short life. What we have found really helps in the new OTC miralax. Great for keeping the stool soft, but you have to be careful with it because it does make poo mushy and watery, so if he's already leaking, could compound the issue, but might also really get him cleaned out if there is some impaction going on. Plus, it dissolves in water, so no pills. Also for the fiber, I know you said you got some crackers he likes, but what about the dissolving fiber? My dd is super super picky about her fluids, and I just dissolve the fiber in applesauce, yogurt, anything that has some sort of fluid in it (I have even put it in oatmeal). We use the benefiber, more expensive, but dissolves so much nicer than any of the other brands. They also have a new berry flavor out which might work.

I hope you are able to get things back under control before he goes to his overnight camp.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search