Evan's Evaluation Report.

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
Here it is:

Evan has a Partial Delay (PD) in the following areas:

Adaptive (PD) - Suggestions from Evaluator: Drinking out of an open cup (which he's done before) & Using the toliet when an adult brings him (Which he does!)
Social/Emotional (PD) (They feel he could benefit from a preschool program.)
Gross Motor (PD) (They added in their notes his score was lowered into the PD area only because he refused to do certain tasks, again a listening issue.)

The Gross Motor we (DH & I & the evaluator) would have not come out even PD if Evan cooperated, As when he came home he did every Motor Skill they asked him to do - fine at home.

The other 2 areas are very little PD so there won't be any therapy needed for them.

These next areas are considered Developmental Delay (DD)

Cognitive (DD)
Fine Motor (DD) - he doesn't hold a crayon the proper way. They said to work with him at home with this. And when building blocks to not use his "Free" hand to hold the others so they don't fall away.

Language Assessment:

Receptive Language: His score was a 59. His Percentile is 1. And his Age Equivalent was 1 years, 6 months. That makes it a delay of 44%.

Expressive Language: His score was a 73%. His Percentile was 4%. And his Age Equivalent was 1 year, 10 months. That was a 31% delay.

Total Language: Score: 62%. Percentile: 1%. Age: 1 year, 7 months. Age Equv: 1 year, 7 months. 40% Delayed.

This makes me SOOO sad. I did not realize my baby boy was this far behind. He is 2 years & 9 Months. So that makes him a full year and some behind. I could cry! The lady who spoke with us today felt like it was a listening issue and that he is stubborn. I hope he can pick things up before school!

</div><div align="center">

</div>
September 13th, 2008, 09:23 AM
monkhester
Don't feel so bad, he is not so far behind that he can't catch up. I got my baby at 2.5 years old and he was testing at 1.8, and his vocabulary consist of 10 baby words. I became a mother with a mission. I am going to try to list some of the things that now has my baby's testing at 2.8 at 3.5 years old. There is so many things that I know I can't list them all:
  1. I had his hearing checked. He has high frequency loss in both ears. I had him tested 3 times.
  2. Then I took him to a Pediatic ENT to check what kind of hearing loss i.e. related to disease, one time hearing loss, a syndrome, ongoing loss.
  3. He couldn't find a cause for the loss so he suggested a genetic testing because of my baby's birth history. Conclusion nothing in genes suggested a syndrome or disease. Conclusion: one time hearing loss.
  4. Tested twice again, same loss. Preparing for hearing aids.
  5. Took him to a pediatric Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences who specialize in non-verbal children. His eye sight is okay, but being tested again in school by the same clinic in a couple of weeks.
  6. During all of this I had him in speech therapy (twice a week), occupational therapy (twice a week), and now I have him in speech for children with hearing defiency once a week (getting him to hear the high frequency sounds via his hearing aids).
  7. Daddy and I started using everything as a teaching tools. We talk a lot with him and made up silly games that we will play with him one on one. For instance, one of the games I play with Nate is called "Eat the Face." I start out in a silly voice asking him what he is doing out so late. Then I will start eating his face like "Umm, cheeks. I love sweet cheeks." Then I will suck his cheeks in my mouth. Then nose, and actually taking his nose in your mouth. Eyeballs, suck softly on his eyes and pretend that I swallowed the balls and say "Yuck, slimey." His tooth, chin, forehead, lips, ears, neck, etc. He quickly learned the parts of his face. Then he started saying Mama's nose, Dad's eyes, etc.
  8. Another then is that when I warned him not to do anything, I will tell him that I will put him in time out at the count of three. I would go 1 2 3 and soon he started counting 1 2 3 with me. I also used 1 2 3 jump (on the bed). After he learned to count 1 2 3 by himself, I went to five. Now I am at ten. I also during each number group I will ask him about to count his cookies, coins, anything.
  9. I let him to spend weekends with aunt, grandparents, and he will learn different things.
  10. Church is great and children classes after services improved him emotionally and behaviourally wise.
  11. I try to keep in my his developmental age in mind when he has emotional and behaviour breakdowns. Most of the times we can ease him by getting down to his size, holding him, and asking him to look at me and I will talk to him. It wasn't easy. Now, its pretty simple. When he start screaming because he hurt himself, we ask him 'are you okay (alright)," and he will immediately stop crying and say "I'm alright (or okay)." When he screams "No. I'm not okay/alright)" then I ask him if he needs a hug. Most of the time this will do it. Other times involve trying to figure out why he is upset. I will tell he no winey, crying because I can't understand him. Then I try to figure out what he wants by taking me to it and then I will give him the word for what he wanted. Then I will use it over and over until he can say it and put in context.
  12. I got him a cd player (later a MP3 player) and put all sorts of music from "Father in the Dell" to church, country, classical, approved rock. He learned a lot with his music and it was easy to get him to bed because he wanted to hear his music.
  13. Later, despite all my pre-mothering mode, I bought him every high action animated dvds i.e. The Incredibles, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, etc. During the first several time of each movie, we will watch it with him while asking questions, making comments about poor Nemo, etc. Later when he asked to see a particular movie, we taught him how to operate the dvd player, how to put in the dvd, how to take it out, how to hit play, etc. He loves Dr. Suess. He learned names, color, items, and dialogue from these movies. He is not big on tv cartoons, but loves "Happy Monster Band." We recorded all 10 on our DVR in our bedroom (new ones start in October). We will play the songs, and sing with him, and dance with him and he has a ball. He can clearly say "Happy Monster Band, please".
  14. We read books and ask questions while we are reading or make comments about what is going on.
  15. We play with his toys with him in and educational way. One day, I was in Walgreens and he wanted an huge fluffy dog twice his size. I told him if he can get it to the register then I will buy it for him, never expecting him to take me at my word. I look back and I saw his tiny hands around the paws, hands in the air, wanting the dog slowly down the item. I watched him as he got it to the register. It was funny, but my baby learned a lesson. He loves that dog he sleeps with, sleeps on it, talk to it, pretends that he eats, etc. He can put his entire head in the mouth. It's takes up all the room in my heavy duty washer.
  16. We do colors about looking at things outdoors: trees, grass, deer, flowers, raccoons, etc.
  17. We added red and green traffic lights because he use to have a fix when we have to stop in traffic. Now he says "Green light, go."
  18. We take him to every place that we can zoo, movies, parties, park, out of state, etc.
  19. We have added a tsp of Norwegian Cod Liver Oil (orange flavor). It has done a lot to improve his behavior. I use to call him stubborn too, but it is really resistant because we couldn't understand his needs.
  20. He potty by himself, wipes, flush, washes his hands and pull his clothes back up. He can put on and take off his pants, undies, socks and shoes. Working on shirts.
  21. He is in EC at the local school. His class has 6 students, a teacher with a master in early childhood education, a student assistant and 3 other volunteers. He has speech here twice a week. He loves school and this program is outstanding.
  22. He loves to be kiss on the mouth and loves to be hugged. His teacher sent me a note in May saying "To Nate, every day is a surprise party."
  23. Most of all I NEVER let him think or believe that he is less than any other child his age. In so many ways he surpasses others his age.
There are so many things to teach him and never a day goes by that he will not learn something. Turn everything into a learning experience and you will see the improvement in him. I love to check the milestones chart to see what 2-year-old goal that he hasn't accomplished and work on those while working on his biological age goals.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search