New to this board..

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
PIXIEDUST's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies.

My middle son is 8(almost 8 1/2) and we are in the very beginning stages of getting him assesed for a learning delay. Since he entered school I have heard that Connor is reading/writing below requirement . There has been alot of frustration and tears (both of us) . Its been so deflating as a parent to hear it over and over with out anyone wanting to help.

We have researched learning disabilities ,and feel he has dysgraphia. His teacher last year(who just so happens to be this years teacher as well) and her aide from last year both thought that he has it as well. My best friends mother is a teacher who worked in literacy last year and worked with a child with dysgraphia.. After seeing and working with Connor over the summer she too feels this is what he has.. I know until we get the confirmation from a dr that yes this is infact what he has then its all a guess but as a mother.. I know this is what it is.

We got a cross over pencil grip to help gain proper pencil control by proper placement of the thumb and forefinger as children with dysgraphia often have a funny grip on a pencil..(which can add to their frustrations as well) . We are allowing him to type things more often as opposed to writing it out . There is an increase in the amount he produces that way. Once we get the confirmation from the dr, there is a program that the school can bring in that has a microphone to speak into and it types out what you are saying. I have seen samples of childrens work both before and after this program and its amazing.. the difference in what they can do.

This was longer than I expected.. sorry for that..ehehe

September 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome. I am Jennifer, mommy to Alexis who is 6 and in special ed 1st grade. She is visually impaired, autistic and might have moderate mental retardation.

I hope you are able to get a diagnosis quickly and be able to start that program. It sounds absolutely amazing, and its wonderful to hear about this difference it makes in these children's lives. I hope you stick around and feel free to jump right in. things tend to be a little slow in here, but we always love new members.
September 19th, 2008, 10:45 AM
PIXIEDUST's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for the welcome!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search