I'm upset and stressed.

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2008, 06:11 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Hunter had his friend over today for some fun and pizza. He lives behind us so rides the bus in the AM with Hunter, but is one grade higher. The boy told me that another boy on the bus has been teasing and making fun of Hunter. The bully does this to a lot of people, but seems to pick on Hunter more so than others. This boy is also in the fourth grade, but not in Hunter's class. This wonderful friend said his mom told him to stick up for Hunter (his mom knows Hunter well. She's watched my boys for me in the past and was our cub scout leader).

After the friend went home I asked Hunter how he felt toward this boy. He told me he was frustrated and when I asked for more info, he said he tells the boy to stop but he doesn't.

The bus is divided by grade to keep the older kids seperated from the younger (K-5 ride this bus). Hunter really does not like being singled out. He balks when offered different writing paper or an adaptor for his pencil. He is not going to like it if I ask him to be moved to a different seat on the bus.

I know teasing comes with going to school and I don't know why I was fooling myself thinking Hunter would go unnoticed. His behaviors aren't cute anymore. They stick out like a farmer's tan on Spring Break.

Any advice on how I should handle this, if at all? Hubby said we could find out who the boys parents are, but my feelings are he's going to be bullied. There isn't any way to avoid it. I'm going to have a deeper conversation with Hunter, I just have to sit on the subject until I get it figured out.

ETA - update at the bottom

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

September 22nd, 2008, 07:03 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am very sorry that Hunter is going through this situation. It is not a fun place for anyone to be. The good news is he seems to be handling it well and trying to stand up for himself Since however, that doesn't seem to be working, I would talk to the principal at school. Most schools have a zero tolerance policy for bullying, and that includes the bus. I would make him/her aware of the situation and see what sort of solution can be worked out that way. It would be unfair to ask Hunter to be moved when he is doing nothing wrong. The boy who is bullying Hunter and the other kids is the one who should be disciplined, and you don't want to give Hunter the impression he is being punished for this kids behavior.

HTH.
September 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks. I am waiting to see what his teacher says in the notebook before I go any further. I also want to talk to Hunter more about it. I'll keep you informed.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

September 24th, 2008, 05:51 AM
After talking with hubby I wrote out a note and handed it to the bus driver when she dropped Hunter off that day. Inside I had wrote what I knew and asked that she call me about it.

Inside Hunter's notebook was a note from his teacher saying that I should call the trasnportation director because it happened on the bus. She also said she would keep an eye out now that she knew the other boys name.

Later that day the transp. dir. called me and said she and the bus driver had talked and the boy would be moved. I stressed how I didn't want this boy to know that Hunter's mom called, and I was told that that would absolutely not happen.

When Hunter got home yesterday I asked him if the boy had bothered him again. He said no, that the boy was moved to the front of the bus.

Hopefully this is the end of it.

Thanks for your advice!

September 24th, 2008, 07:06 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
YEAH!!!!! I am soo excited to here that. Hopefully this will resolve the issue, and now you know if it happens again, to call the transportation director to resolve it quickly. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this works.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search