New here

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
Hi my name is Becca and I have 3 children. Sadie is 9, Lilly is 7 and Gabe is 3.

Sadie has always had trouble with school. Before she was 3 I had taken her to the school annex and she had an IEP to get services at home. She was deaf until she was 2 so she was very delayed in talking and understanding. When she was 4 they tested her out and said that she is on age/grade level. Sadie also has seizures and some nerve damage in her brain. I am thinking that is why she has difficulties reading and doing other things as well. She is in 3rd grade this year. We held her back in 2nd grade because she was having a very hard time. I requested a meeting with the school to get her an IEP or a 504 plan but was denied because at the time all her grades we passing (D's and C's).

I was thinking about asking for another meeting to get an IEP or 504 plan this year but I am afraid that they are just going to deny it again. We have a new VP this year and I am hoping that she will be more apt to giving her one.

She is over a full grade level behind in her reading. She is only at like a 2.3 and that is pushing it. If she hadn't been held back she should be at at least a 4.0. They are saying that because she is in only 3rd grade this year that it should be at a 3.0. I way going by what she should be in but I don't even know if that is the way to think about it. She does get Title One services but she hasn't gone up a reading level in over a year. This is what she was at the end of her 1st time in 2nd grade.

I am just so confused on what I should do. Thanks for reading.

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
September 24th, 2008, 05:58 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
I'm sorry you're going through this.

I'm in a rush, but want to say that you have to be an advocate for your daughter. You know her best. There are people who can attend IEP meetings with you...someone fill in the blank I'm having here...that person's presence alone says your going to fight for what you feel your daughter needs.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

September 24th, 2008, 07:11 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the PP, get an advocate to go with you. It may also be helpful to see if you can get her evaluated by someone outside of the school district and bring those reports with you. Any evidence that you can provide them to demonstrate her skill deficits or delays will be very beneficial. Also, since you know that the seizures have caused some brain damage, have you had your dd's IQ tested? It is possible that there may be a deficit in her IQ which may be contributing to her learning difficulties.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search