Hello, New here, and very frustrated

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello, I'm new to this topic...First I'd like to start off with a little about my daughter...she's 5 going on 6 next month...I knew something was different about her since she was a baby, she never talked, hardly made baby sounds etc....She didn't really start to say sounds till 3, maybe closer to 4, but couldn't talk...So around 4 we had her hearing tested, it was fine etc...Her doctor recommended I contact the school district (after he recommended speech therapy for her)...So to make a long story short, we went threw a lot, and at first they said she couldn't go into the special education preschool, and that all she needed was speech..Then I kind of got upset because she had other problems, she was very delayed socially, and couldn't do much for herself...She would see other kids and just scream...She's also very difficult when it comes to food (not just normally pickiness)...So they reevaluated her, and wrote her down as developmentally delayed....She went into preschool, and did very well after awhile...her speech started to improve, she was doing things for herself, and even making some friends...Of course her speech is still pretty bad, but at least we can understand her most of the time....She doesn't talk normally even when we can understand her, but it makes a lot more sense...So anyway, she is now in kindergarten, and goes to the same school as her preschool...They put her down on her IEP for 20 minutes a week of monitoring from the special education department for social reasons, and 30 minutes a week for speech...Everything was going well till about a month after school when her old speech teacher had to stop teaching her due to having too many preschoolers...So she went on to the normal school speech teacher...It seems that since she switched speech teachers, she has only had speech a few times within the last few months...At her conference with her kindergarten teacher and the special ed teacher, they told me that they wanted my permission to take her out of special ed (they'd had to reevaluate her) because socially she seems to be doing very well....I started to read up on the laws in our state, and speech is considered special education, and I'm worried that if we get rid of her IEP and take her out of special education that I have nothing to stand on legally with her speech....They said they were sure she would still get speech, just nothing else special education wise...On another note, I just want to say that I think it was her speech problem that caused all of her social problems, and I still don't think she's 100% normal socially...So I wrote the speech teacher and the special education teacher a letter and emailed it to them today...I'm thinking of declining her being reevaluated (I forgot to mention what a long process it was getting her into the special education, it took months), and just keeping her in it, so I can make sure that she gets what by law she has the right to have....I've heard awful things about the special education in our school district and school from other parents...I just don't want to cause any problems, but my daughter really needs all the help she can get because as she gets older it's only going to be harder on her...I was just wondering if any one had any advice or have been in the same situation as this...thank you!

January 12th, 2009, 07:07 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First off welcome, and I am sorry you are having these issues. I know you said your daughter was evaluated and diagnosed with developmental delays? Who did those evaluations? Just the school district? If it was just the school district, I would get an outside evaluation from a developmental pediatrician or from a neuropyschologist. I don't want to woryy you, but has anyone ever mentioned autism? Or being on the autism spectrum? There are some elements in your posat that remind me of my dd who has autism, the not speaking until 3-4 (my dd was 3 when she said her first word and didn't have a large vocabulary until she was 5 1/2, she still has pronunciation issues and has trouble answering question) and the screaming when seeing other children and not interacting well, the social delays are another key aspect of the spectrum. Also, many autistic children have extreme food issues, either they don't eat textures, or certain chrunchy foods, or colors, or will only eat a few select foods. As I said, I do not want to worry you, but if she has not been evaluated by anyone other than the school district, I would contact a developmental pediatrician or a neuropyschologist and get her evaluated. It sounds like there is more going on here than just a simple speech delay. It this point in time, I would not take her out of the special ed system. They can recommend it, but you as the parent have the final say. If you do not sign off on it, they cannot do it. If after an outside evaluation and there or no other problems, then I would consider it, but at this point, if I was you and no other opiinions besides the school district, I would not sign off on letting her out of special ed until I had a diagnosis or the okay from a qualified medical professional.

Oh and if you do decide to opt out of special ed, make sure that her IEP is still in place for her speech therapy. Yes speech therapy may be considered special ed, but as long as her IEP still has speech therapy x times a week for x minutes, the schoool district has to provide it.
January 12th, 2009, 04:40 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
First off welcome, and I am sorry you are having these issues. I know you said your daughter was evaluated and diagnosed with developmental delays? Who did those evaluations? Just the school district? If it was just the school district, I would get an outside evaluation from a developmental pediatrician or from a neuropyschologist. I don't want to woryy you, but has anyone ever mentioned autism? Or being on the autism spectrum? There are some elements in your posat that remind me of my dd who has autism, the not speaking until 3-4 (my dd was 3 when she said her first word and didn't have a large vocabulary until she was 5 1/2, she still has pronunciation issues and has trouble answering question) and the screaming when seeing other children and not interacting well, the social delays are another key aspect of the spectrum. Also, many autistic children have extreme food issues, either they don't eat textures, or certain chrunchy foods, or colors, or will only eat a few select foods. As I said, I do not want to worry you, but if she has not been evaluated by anyone other than the school district, I would contact a developmental pediatrician or a neuropyschologist and get her evaluated. It sounds like there is more going on here than just a simple speech delay. It this point in time, I would not take her out of the special ed system. They can recommend it, but you as the parent have the final say. If you do not sign off on it, they cannot do it. If after an outside evaluation and there or no other problems, then I would consider it, but at this point, if I was you and no other opiinions besides the school district, I would not sign off on letting her out of special ed until I had a diagnosis or the okay from a qualified medical professional.

Oh and if you do decide to opt out of special ed, make sure that her IEP is still in place for her speech therapy. Yes speech therapy may be considered special ed, but as long as her IEP still has speech therapy x times a week for x minutes, the schoool district has to provide it.[/b]

Thanks for the reply! See I always used to say that I thought she was autistic....I've taken her to the doctor many times over the years for her problems, and they really never told me what to do, except call the school district...They tested her hearing and that's about it as far as what her doctor did....I talked to her preschool teacher and the special ed department when we were trying to get her into the program,and I said that I thought she might be autistic....I'm not saying she isn't, but she has improved SOOO much over the last year or so....If she is autistic, I know that it's pretty mild....I did alot of reading up on it, when I was trying to figure out her problems....I also took zoloft when I was pregnant with her (of course they told me it was safe, and now I know that it wasn't), and i'm thinking that is linked to her problems....I'd be interested to know more about your daughters issues....I like to compare things, but don't have many people I can ask about....Allison will not eat foods if they look a certain way, any kind of casseroles, soups, stews etc (she will eat top romen, and chicken noodle out of a can)....I pretty much have to force food into her....That's one thing hasn't improved with school...It's just so frustrating because i've been trying to get her help since she was a baby and I realized she didn't talk, and no one has ever taken her problems seriously....She's really well behaved, she's quiet at school etc, and she's doing good with her school work, so they seem to think she's fine, and I know as a mom that she isn't....I think it goes deeper than that....I hope it makes sense, and I'm glad i found this bored, and hopefully get to know everyone better!

January 13th, 2009, 07:00 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would definately recommend taking her to a developmental pediatrician or a neurospychologist then. Both of them are qualified to diagnose autism or autism spectrum disorders. My daughter has a condition called septo-optic dysplasia. It is a disorder that involves underdeveloped optic nerves (she is visually impaired), endocrine disorders (she has a growth hormone deficiency, a underactive thyroid, and needs supplemental cortisol - the stress hormone- in stress situations) and brain structure or function abnormalities. Along with her diagnosis, many children with the same have autism or autistic tendencies. My dd did not say her first word until she was 3, and never even really babbled. She has been in speech therapy since she was 18 months, and we still have a long way to go. Now at almost 7, she is beginning to speak in full sentences and answer simple questions, but complex questions like what did you do today, or how was your day she has trouble with. The problem is that the question is very open ended and those questions where a specific answer isn't required is difficult. Plus the child has to process and put into words everything that occured which can be difficult. Alexis is very social, loves to be held and is actually quite outgoing. this confused us at first, but that is not necessarily an excluder frfom autism. She still has social delays. mainly in play behavior, she does not play developmentally appropriate with toys. And she prefers older children or adults to her peer group. She will interact one on one with a peer, but anything more than that she will have difficulties. She is also very routine ordered. She does best when her days follow the same pattern and routines. Deviating from that routine can be very hard for her and it can be difficult to transition from one task to the next. i mean the other day, I did a load of laundry in the morning before school, and she completely flipped out wanting the washer turned off because mommy does not do laundry in the morning before school. She also has a lot of repetitive behaviors, or self-stim behaviors. These can be anything. For her, its spinning in circles, banging, listening to the same song over and over, and a few others. All that said, there are many more behaviors and what not that fall on the spectrum, so if you are concerned, I would bypass the normal pedi and go to either a developmental pedi or the neuropsych. We went to a neuropysch and that's who diagnosed my dd.

As for the food, my dd did not learn to chew until this summer when she was 6 (part of her viusl impairment and part her refusal to eat textures). I don't know where you live, but there are some phenomenal feeding disorders programs which deal with food selectivity (which it definately sounds like your dd has). We went to the clinic in Hershey PA, did about 3 outpaitent visits and did a lot of work at home following there recommendations before we did a 4 week in patient treatment program and at the end of the third week she was chewing. These programs are great for dealing with all sorts of feeding disorders (though the one in Hersyer was the only one that i know of that does the chewing disorders) I did not wait for a recommendation for my pedi. I did a lot of internet research (children's/ pediatric feeding disorders clinics) and made a lot of phone calls to the different clinics to find the best one for us). Depending on where you live, it may not be a bad idea. My ins. even covered our day treatment for the entire 4 weeks. I just had to pay my copay for each day we were there. And the program in PA had people coming from all over, Nevada, Tennessee, Idaho, and they were phenomenal.

January 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Regular
HI--I'm popping in from another board. I'm a special education teacher and wanted to let you know that speech is not a related service. If you dismiss services w/ special education, speech should still be offered. DO NOT let them dismiss your daughter. I teach children with autism and I am furious when speech tries to dismiss them. Even if she is doing well in kdg, that does not mean she does not need help with articulation, social relatedness and a multitude of other things. Also, if her food issues are severe, you could also request an occupational therapy evaluation as they handle sensory issues (or they should) and that is what your daughter's issue with food might be related to. Lastly, you said your daughter is well-behaved in school. This is great, however it may continue to be part of your struggle with receiving services. If she's not a handful then it seems natural for some to think she's "fine". Continue to advocate for her and I agree wit the last poster, seek a medical diagnosis. That will go a long ways with the district. Good luck and I hope your daughter continues to make progress. It sounds like you're on the right track.
March 13th, 2009, 11:55 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
Ditto again on seeing a developmental pediatrician or pediatric neurologist.

Do not let the district strong-arm you into dismissing her from special education. You already learned how hard it can be to get services, it can be even harder to have them reinstated.

Keep immaculate records of who you talk to and when. Work your way up in the district if necessary. Research any local support groups that exist.

My son received early intervention services and I still keep in contact with the behavior therapist and with the parent organization just in case I need information.

August 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
to everyone here. DO NOT let them drop her from special ed. Most times its a money issue why they are trying to drop certain kids. and she will not receive speech from school if this is the case. Stay strong mama, and dont let the system get you down.

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
January 16th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know how you feel and I know how frustrating it can be!! I'm having that issue with me 3 year old. Hang in there, your her mother and you know what she needs the most! Fight Fight Fight! Good luck!....I also agree with bringing your child to the pediatric neurologist...I really hope all works out for you!
January 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
lupti's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just popping in;. I am a special education teacher as well. Please do not let them drop her! It sounds like they are trying to lighten their caseload. Tell the district you do not want her dropped from special education, and you will be bringing an outside evaluation to her IEP meeting. There may be parent advocates in your area who can help advise you as well- they will also attend the meeting with you.

Stand your ground on this one!

Heather
BFP March 2, 12 dpo
Elias Scott and Griffin Karl here on 9/19/09!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search