New Here...And I Need Help...

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Newbies
Send a message via MSN to princesspnut Send a message via Yahoo to princesspnut
Well, to start off I have not done this before. I am completely green.I'm actually very nervous about asking strangers for help, but I'm at my wits end. I have a 6 year old little girl, who is my world. She has been slow all her life. She didn't babble, she didn't crawl til she was 8 months old and she did not walk til she was almost 2. I didn't even here mama until after here 2nd birthday. She was in Special Needs Pre-School for 3 years and now that she is in Kindergarden they are giving me a hard time with putting her back on her IEP. She's already behind in her class and is in the Title 1 Reading. What do I do? I'm getting no where with her teacher and the principle won't return my phone calls. I keep trying to teach her at home but I get so frustrated with her.She doesnt seem to retain anything that I teach her. She just learned to identify her letters about a month ago and she still doesn't know her numbers. They want her to be able to write in small sentences and read small books as well as know 40 sight words by the end of the year. She's lucky to know 6 of the sight words. They keep sending home notes that she doesn't know what a setting is to a story. I keep trying to explain it to her but she just doesn't get it. How do I get her and the school on the same page and how can I get the help I need to deal with her? By the way she is also a hyper active child. As well as VERY clingy.Pleez hepl! Any advice would be greatfully accepted.
January 11th, 2009, 10:07 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Well, to start off I have not done this before. I am completely green.I'm actually very nervous about asking strangers for help, but I'm at my wits end. I have a 6 year old little girl, who is my world. She has been slow all her life. She didn't babble, she didn't crawl til she was 8 months old and she did not walk til she was almost 2. I didn't even here mama until after here 2nd birthday. She was in Special Needs Pre-School for 3 years and now that she is in Kindergarden they are giving me a hard time with putting her back on her IEP. She's already behind in her class and is in the Title 1 Reading. What do I do? I'm getting no where with her teacher and the principle won't return my phone calls. I keep trying to teach her at home but I get so frustrated with her.She doesnt seem to retain anything that I teach her. She just learned to identify her letters about a month ago and she still doesn't know her numbers. They want her to be able to write in small sentences and read small books as well as know 40 sight words by the end of the year. She's lucky to know 6 of the sight words. They keep sending home notes that she doesn't know what a setting is to a story. I keep trying to explain it to her but she just doesn't get it. How do I get her and the school on the same page and how can I get the help I need to deal with her? By the way she is also a hyper active child. As well as VERY clingy.Pleez hepl! Any advice would be greatfully accepted.[/b]

First thing you need to do is look up the laws in your state for children with disabilities and their rights...Then you need to bring the law up to the school district...I know here you can actually sue them if they are discriminating against children with special needs...It sounds like your daughter is developmentally delayed....Has she been diagnosed with anything? Why did they take her off of her IEP if she is still having problems in school? Did you sign papers to get her off of her IEP?...I know here they have a law called "no child left behind" and to me it sounds like that's exactly what's happening to your daughter and they aren't giving her the help that she requires...Instead of calling the principle, go in and demand to talk to her, if that doesn't work, contact the school district...I think sometimes you just need to demand things, and if they don't listen, then you go to the people above them etc untill they do something about it...Good luck!

January 12th, 2009, 06:56 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First, off, I am very sorry you are dealing with all of these issues. I have a visually impaired autistic child, and have been dealing with the school district for quite some time (she will be 7 in April). First things first, forgo your principal for the moment (we will get back to that). The principal has nothing to do with getting your child back on an IEP. What you need to do is contact your school district's board of education. Get in touch with the chairperson for the Committee for Special Education (CSE). They are located at the district's board of education. These are the people responsible for putting together the IEP. Explain to the chairperson what is going on and ask to have your child evaluated. They will evaluater for many things, fine motor, gross motor, special education, do IQ testing, speech therapy (it sounds like there could be both receptive - understanding what is said to her and expressive - being able to articulate thoughts back to you or answer questions). Without these evaluations, the CSE will not be able to move forward with an IEP. Is your daughter in a special ed kindergarten or developmentally normal K? It sounds like she needs to be in a special ed K class. That is where my daughter is, and while she is not at age level in all of her subjects, she is excelling and learning, as the classes are designed for children with special needs. Additionally, have you taken your daughter to see a developmental pediatrician? The developmental pediatrician will be able to identify and diagnosis developmental delays or disabilities, as it definately sounds like there is something like that going on. I would also consider making an appointment with a neurologist, as she seems to be having difficulties retaining anything. They will be able to rule out any sort of brain structure or fuinction problem that may be contributing (don't freak out, most likely there is nothing there, but I tend to get all the bases covered to rule out any sort of problem). As for the principal, as I said earlier, the principal has nothing to do with getting an IEP in place, that is the CSE. However, as the principal, (s)he should listen to you and at the very least return phone calls. I would do what the previous poster suggested and go in in person, that way they cannot ignore you and wait as long as it takes until you get to see the principal to at the very least set up a meeting in person to discuss what is going on. Also, if you have not got a copy, stop at the board of education (you can even make an appt with the CSE chairperson while you are there) and pick up a copy of the parents' bill of rights. It explains all your rights as a parent of a child with special needs. Read through it and become familiar with it. It will help you. My last recommendation is to contact some of the parent advocates that are always at the CSE meetings. These are parents you have special needs children and have been in the system for a long time. They can help you and give you much better advice than we can, as obviously, they live and their kids go to the same sachool district you are in. I am not sure how you would get in touch with them, but ask the secetrary at the board of education how to get in contact with one of them. Or there are usually external places (places that deal with developmentally disabled kids and adults) that may be able to help you. I don't think you need to sue the school district yet, however if after trying to go through CSE and you still have no answers then more drastic steps may need to be taken.

All that said, please don't forget to get your dauhter evaluated by a developmental pediatrician or neurologist, or even a neuropyschologist (all qualified to diagnosis developmental disabilities or delays). If your dd is diagnosed with anything, it will make it that much easier for you to go through the CSE process without the hassle you are having now.

And my final thought. I know it seems horrible to consider it, but however if there is ever a time for your child to be held back a grade, this is the time for it to happen. We may have to hold my dd back this year and she is in special ed 1st grade. Like I said, it is not a great thought or even a happy thought, but if it was ever going to happen, now would be the best time

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search