New and just worried...

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Hello,

I'm new and a bit worried, and wondering if someone here might have seen what I'm seeing before.

My 4 1/2 year old daughter has never to me seemed to have any sign of learning disability. She has never missed a milestone and has in fact seemed advanced in language. Her ability to focus on a project has always been great. However, she can be resistant to changing tasks or moving from one project to another, and she always seems to work slowly and sometimes kind of daydreams while working. She sometimes responds to questions slowly, you have to wait a minute before she answers often.

Her problems in preschool have been with fine motor skills and transitions. Her strengths are imagination and sense of humor. She doesn't make a lot of friends, but likes other kids and hasn't had problems with interactions.

She was diagnosed at 4 with a sort of lazy eye that was fixed with patching and glasses. Now she wears glasses, and sees well with them.

She just took the WPPSI test for a school entrance and her full scale IQ came in in the 120s...so bright but not gifted which sounds right... but her processing speed was low 90s...still nothing that anyone would call really sub - par but very strange given her other scores to me. Does a habit of doing things slowly indicate a problem with learning? Is this a sign of any disability you have seen? I am now worried that she has a problem I need to get treated or it will make her unhappy later in life....Or maybe this kind of score divergence is a normal thing?

I don't know, I'm rambling a bit....just a worried mom wondering if it is time to call the psychologists or not.

Thanks
Angie
April 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Regular
Popping in from the Nov DDC. I'm a school psychologist and frequently give the WPPSI. A 90 is still in the Average range of scores, so nothing to worry about. She is processing information at approximately the same rate as her same aged peers. In comparison to her FSIQ, it just means that her verbal skills, reasoning skills, and problem solving abilities are more developed than her speed of processing information. She has the capabilities, it is just going to take her longer to take it all in and formulate a response. Again, her score is completely in the Average range--it would not pop out to an evaluator on an assessment profile as something that needed further assessment or as being indicative of a disability of any type.
DS: Ezra- 3-29-07
DD: Etta- 5-28-08
Angel Baby: 1-1-09
#4: EDD 11-8-09

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search