What's an IEP Meeting Like?

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We have an IEP meeting set up for Thursday to discuss what we're going to do for testing Cameron. We're 99% sure he is dyslexic, but they want to make sure that is definitely what we are dealing with and it's not something else. We homeschool so when he is testing it'll be the first time he actually sets foot in a school other than to come with us when we vote!

Last month they had us fill out a huge packet of information. I had to do the referral page, the parent page, AND the teacher page since I am both parent and teacher for him. Plus we had to send in lots of school samples. Then they were going to review the packet and if they saw a problem (i.e. need for services) they'd contact us to set up the IEP meeting. Obviously they saw a problem.

So the meeting is at my old elementary school. The lady there told me the giant list of people who would be there. Everyone from a regular teacher to a special ed teacher to a school psychologist and about 4 others, too. She said we'd decide where to go from that meeting.

So what is an IEP meeting like?

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

February 21st, 2011, 05:50 AM
Lindsey.'s Avatar Veteran
Hi there. I'm a Special Ed teacher in Texas. The laws vary by state and even by district, but overall, there are certain procedures they have to follow.

Once a child is referred for testing, we have to hold a meeting just to request permission from the parent to test the child. I can't tell from your post if you've already given this permission, but that may be all you are doing at this particular meeting. Sometimes I feel bad for parents who come for this type of meeting, because I know they are looking for answers, but all we are doing is getting a signature. At a minimum, the parent, diagnostician, gen ed teacher (you, in this case), Sped teacher, and administrator are present. This meeting usually only takes about thirty minutes. We conduct the testing, which can sometimes take several months, and then have another meeting to recommend any needed services based on the results.

If you've already given permission and testing has been conducted, then you'll have the meeting to discuss services that are recommended by the service providers. This type of meeting will usually take closer to an hour. In our district, dyslexia is a separate category and they aren't put in Sped. Students with a dyslexic identifier receive specialized instruction called MTA (Multi-sensory Teaching Approach).

There is always a possibility that a student won't qualify for any services, meaning they aren't identified as having any disability. In that case, they will still hold a meeting to discuss the results and explain why services won't be recommended.

You should contact the school if you have questions about what will actually be discussed at the meeting. Parents definitely hold all the cards in these meetings and are the best advocates for their child, but they often are confused by the whole process. Understandably, since it IS confusing! Let me know if you have any questions.

February 25th, 2011, 07:28 PM
MamaJess0008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to MamaJess0008 Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJess0008
Josh has been in Early Intervention since Feb 2010 for his speech and sensory issues. We have had his IFSP's for EI but now that he will be transitioning to the school system soon we had an IEP in Nov. We will have another in the spring to discuss the progress made since Nov --there has been tons --

I was really shocked how formal the meeting was. In our area it is held at the school board office. There were members from Early intervention, there were the schools own OT, Speech Therapist, and PT and Child Physc as well as all of Josh's providers and then the main school district guy. They first started by having all of Josh's providers read their current reports to them and then they began discussing what would happen in Sept when Josh would enter a special Ed program for preschoolers. To me it was very overwhelming but informative.

Im sure it varies state by state and even school district to school district. Good luck at your meeting and if you have questions you should really call the district and ask them to walk you thru what will happen at this meeting. We have a service coordinator thru EI and she was the one who calmed my fears, etc.

Thank you claire1979 for the cute siggy!! =)

February 26th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
It ended up being a very pleasant and really relaxed meeting. We went over the samples I sent in and talked about his issues and Jamie's, too, since it's likely Cameron inherited his problem from his dad. Everyone was really friendly and laughing and everything. They were totally respectful of me being Cameron's teacher as well as his mother. Me homeschooling him was no big deal.

There were a lot of people there. 5 others. They all explained everything very well. Cameron'll be going for a slew of testing in a few weeks. He'll spend that day at my old elementary school. It was really interesting being back in there for the first time since I was 11.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search