IEP for Private School?

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Lauraubie's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello! I'm new to this board but not to JM. Anways, I have a question I am hoping someone could help me with. Do Catholic (Private) Schools have to follow IEP's? Do they provide them?

My daughter is in a public integrated preschool. She is there for speech. She has been on an IEP the entire time and is now going to Kindergarten in the fall. I went to the IEP meeting today and the speech therapist from our city grade school was annoyed that we were wanting an IEP and didn't want to provide us with one even though my daughter qualifies. All because I said we were undecided on where my daughter would be attending grade school. Ultimately she gave it to me but she was not happy to do so. Is there something else I should be doing for a private school? I don't want to deal with this woman every year if I don't have to.

Custom Photo Cards & Invitations ~ Peek at my Website ~ Like me on Facebook
May 16th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
I am not really sure...I think they have to follow the set curriculum for the area. Why not schedule a meeting and find out?

May 18th, 2011, 11:19 AM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad you posted this question! Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was starting to think I was crazy for trying to get my kid in a private school. I've been trying for months to find other people who've done this and could tell me how it works. Couldn't find anyone. So I did my own research.

Here's what I know....
Unless the private school is receiving federal/state funds, they are under no legal obligation to follow an IEP and most won't accept one from the previous school. Most Catholic schools do provide some services for students with special needs/learning disabilities but I can't for the life of me figure out how exactly they go about coordinating and monitoring those services for individual students. I would assume it's a similar process to an IEP but maybe with slightly different wording for things. There doesn't seem to be any common standard for these things in private schools so you'll have to ask someone from the Catholic school specifically.

I had a similar situation to yours with my daughter. She was in a public preschool with an IEP and the whole expirience was awful for both of us. I very much want her to go to kindergarten at the private school her sisters attend but the public school was not at all supportive (they even told us it was against the law) I ended up pulling her out of school in March (for several reasons) and she is now officially enrolled in the private school and will attend kindergarten there starting in August.
Because our particular school doesn't get any public funds and doesn't have much of a history with special needs students, we're creating our own service plan from scratch. It's a lot of work and a little scary to be working without a road map. But it also gives us a lot of freedom to do what's best for her.

Do you know for sure that the Catholic school can provide the specific services she needs? If not can you get them from other private resources to avoid using the public school?

I hope I was at least a little helpful. Good Luck!
June 22nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
lilangel91284's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son is attending a private school and we had asked this question because my daughter has a learning disability and we wanted to know what they would do.

The private school we are going is considered part of the school district even though they do there own thing. When my daughter starts they will have all her stuff transferred from the district we are in to the one she will be in. They will also rewrite her IEP for the district. She can also get services through the public school district for speech, and whatever else she will need.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search