Almost 6 year old Daughter dx with Aspergers last week

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2011, 08:36 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
We were initially seeing a Paed about anxiety and the problems we are constantly having at school. He took me aside and told me that she does have anxiety and that she has Aspergers. Basically she is GLOWING she is so positively Aspergers, not just a hint! lol

I knew something was wrong and I knew she was different from other kids. But we've had a lot of issues with her sore joints and her reflux that I just never paid any notice to them other than she was hurting or keeping symptom journals for her reflux and pain.

People keep telling me that she's the same little girl, but at the moment, all I'm thinking is: is this you or is this the Aspergers? WHO are you, little girl?

My husband is overseas until the 14th, so it didn't help having him gone. She is of the 'non-sleeping' variety of Aspergers and I think that's affecting me too. Chronic sleep dep is so hard.

The school is very happy with the diagnosis as now we can access help for her.

How/when do you start to explain Aspergers to your child?

Were the first few weeks post-diagnosis hard for you?

Thanks.

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.
June 4th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Veteran
Have you ever seen the book called "All Cats Have Aspergers?"
It's a beautiful book, and it might help you and your daughter discuss her feelings and emotions. I'm a primary school teacher, and have a lot of experiece with ASD. Maybe your school can give you some support and even some names of other parents to chat with? It must be so overwhelming for you. Do some reading, and realise that the Spectrum is so wide, that whilst there are generalisations and characteristics, no two children with ASD are the same.

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/
June 13th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
I need to read that!!!

June 26th, 2011, 06:52 PM
It's a nice little book. There's also a similar book called All Dogs have ADD. (It's true!!)

We're having issues with school in that they keep telling us they've never had another female student with Asperger's Syndrome and 'are we sure'? We just got the official diagnosis of AS, anxiety and sensory issues.

It's so hard to find solutions to the schooling issues.

Jen + Matt
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

July 11th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
That is terrible! I hope things get better with school. It really irritates me when they constantly try and re-diagnose my child. They are not doctors! Argh, so frustrating. I hope things get better for you. I am going to see if I can find that book this week!!

July 15th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
i am right there with you. we just got our first official diagnosis last thursday. but weve known for awhile.im really trying to wrap my head around it. i was always holding out hope that maybe everyone was wrong. now im working on helping my son anyway i can. hes pretty high functioning so its easier but i have been working with him since he was 3 so i think that helps

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

July 22nd, 2011, 10:09 PM
I just wanted to update. We've finally made progress with the school. Basically we held very firm, even mentioning that we didn't want to move her to another school, and we worked out getting her some writing help along with reading help.

Part of her issues are with perfectionism and she doesn't want to write because it doesn't look 'like the books', ie, her writing isn't form perfect like the printed literature they're looking at.

She's finally made some progress with it, writing her first full sentence!!

We have found immense help in 'fiddlies' as they're called by the SENCO (special education co-ordinator). We have 2 little magnet based creatures. One is a magnet man with fluffy red hair and the other is a giraffe. Because they have magents at the end of their arms, they can hug and stick together.

The kids in her class have taken well to them, asking to play with them at lunch. Other little girls have begun bringing in their own soft toys to play with at lunch. Sophie rubs them whenever something scares her or I leave her in the mornings.

Still a struggle every day, but school is getting better.

Now I know why mums with children on the spectrum are called Warrior Mums. Lots of hard work advocating!!

Jen + Matt
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

October 20th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Regular
I'm new here, but was interested in your post. Glad things are looking up at school. I know how much of a stressor it is when they're not!

My son (8) has been diagnosed with SID/SPD, ADHD, and anxiety. Things have really escalated lately and I think we're going to have to add depression to the mix. He has a psych appointment on Nov. 2nd. I'm hoping we get help and answers then.

My son has a lot of traits of kids with Aspergers, but two areas (social and difficulty with humor) do not fit. He is a little "different," but he still loves to make friends, is able to, and is well-liked. He also has no problem with eye contact and is not ever really socially inappropriate (except the level of his voice and wanting to "direct" kids at times).
March 3rd, 2012, 11:02 AM
your son should grow out of aspergers in time, do not worry

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search