6 in March and at a 2.5yr old development

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Veteran
Hi, I am a step mom of two wonderful little girls; 8 and 5. Their mother did meth and drank during both pregnancies. The oldest has developmently caught up with the rest of her class (and has passed the class avg in math!!!). Her mother drank and used meth more often the w/ her second but was put in rehab at around 3-4 months into pregnancy. The youngest will be 6 in march and talks less then my 2.5. Yr old nephew. Her coordination is less developed then my nephew. She does like to organize and put same colored items together. She is always happy unless she gets in trouble and cries irrationally (way more dramatic and long lasting then other children). They did have her tested for autism which was not the problem, but the mother will NOT mention her drug use to anyone, she thinks her daughter is "dumb" (her words). Anyways I have looked up meth use during pregnancy and I can't find much on long term affects. I'm so lost on this. She is so far behind I think she needs more help then she's getting. Anyone with ideas
December 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Veteran
She can name colors (cant pronounce them correctly but you understand) one day and the next day not know them, also does that w/ counting. She does lie ("normal" kid thing but shows thinking skills). Also just a side note, her teeth have gaps between them, I didn't know if that was a characteristic of drug use by her mother.
December 23rd, 2011, 04:05 AM
Veteran
I'm not sure about meth use, but have a look into Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. You might find some ideas.

Good luck!

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search