Removal of IEP

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Hi! I am wondering who knows a lot about IEP's? e son is 15 and in 10th grade. He has been on an IEP since 3rd grade for written language. He is now doing well enough (82%) on writing papers on his own. So the school did a 45 day trial out to see if he could keep up with it on his own by self advocating. The meeting this morning indicated that in the past 30 days, his grade have tanked dramatically. Not because of the writing issue but because with out the special ed teacher prompting him every day to get his work done, he doesn't do it. He is a very smart kid that has way more potential than he is showing.

I guess my question is, While I know that he can not stay on this specific IEP because he no longer qualifies for written language help. Is there such a thing as an IEP for organization, studying and handing in homework? Is that an executive function disorder? Where they can't seem to get it together, to get their studies done and forget stuff and have no motivation to get it done unless prompted by the teachers?
Thanks for any help!
December 23rd, 2013, 12:20 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just lost everything I wrote! So now, the short version. My degree is in Special Education and was a Sped teacher for 8 years before going into General Education.

I don't know of county that uses the term "executive functioning disorder." They generally stick to outlining the problems without giving it a "label" unless it's generic like learning disability. Or things that are obvious on a psychological like processing speed, long term memory or short term memory deficit.

Regardless of the problem having a name, those problems you listed can be address in an IEP. I wrote IEPs that addressed organization and study skills.

The best thing is talk to the school about what you want.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search