My intro

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Veteran
Im Jess. Im a mom to 4 and my oldest son has a learning disability. Joshua is turning 8 this summer and reading/writing/spelling are extremely hard for him. He's going to be a second grader this fall. It amazes me how much he LOVES school......even though its so hard for him. He's brilliant with math and 'computing' skills (they tested his IQ this year to help in diagnosing him, I suppose, and he scored well into the 'genius' range for computing and math). Since he has such a hard time reading, though, even math and things where he has to use those computing skills become very difficult because he can't read the directions. He just carries on and works extra hard and with the addition of an hour of resource room during school he's making S-L-O-W but steady progress.
He's been in school since he was 3 (he had profound speech delays as well, so he started a special needs class when he was 3)..so he's had 2 yrs of preschool, kindgarten, primary (an extra year between K and 1st to help catch up some of the kids that had problems with K), and 1st grade........Hes just NOW beginning to read at the level a child should be reading at the END of Kindergarten. His speech difficulties were blamed for the readinig/writing delays at first because we (the school and I ) figured that since he couldnt SAY the letter sounds correctly, he couldnt figure out how to read them or how to sound things out in order to spell them. They gave him until the end of Primary to 'get' the hang of the reading thing and when he didnt they IMMEDIATELY started the ball rolling to get him tested for a learning disability.
His speech has mostly cleared up now...he has a few problems with some words/sounds, but for the most part he's doing well with that.
June 19th, 2007, 02:25 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Im Jess. Im a mom to 4 and my oldest son has a learning disability. Joshua is turning 8 this summer and reading/writing/spelling are extremely hard for him. He's going to be a second grader this fall. It amazes me how much he LOVES school......even though its so hard for him. He's brilliant with math and 'computing' skills (they tested his IQ this year to help in diagnosing him, I suppose, and he scored well into the 'genius' range for computing and math). Since he has such a hard time reading, though, even math and things where he has to use those computing skills become very difficult because he can't read the directions. He just carries on and works extra hard and with the addition of an hour of resource room during school he's making S-L-O-W but steady progress.
He's been in school since he was 3 (he had profound speech delays as well, so he started a special needs class when he was 3)..so he's had 2 yrs of preschool, kindgarten, primary (an extra year between K and 1st to help catch up some of the kids that had problems with K), and 1st grade........Hes just NOW beginning to read at the level a child should be reading at the END of Kindergarten. His speech difficulties were blamed for the readinig/writing delays at first because we (the school and I ) figured that since he couldnt SAY the letter sounds correctly, he couldnt figure out how to read them or how to sound things out in order to spell them. They gave him until the end of Primary to 'get' the hang of the reading thing and when he didnt they IMMEDIATELY started the ball rolling to get him tested for a learning disability.
His speech has mostly cleared up now...he has a few problems with some words/sounds, but for the most part he's doing well with that.[/b]
Welcome! Your son sounds a lot like mine! He is 14 now. He was in preschool special ed for global developmental delays at the age of 4. He has had so many struggles along the way and still is way below his peers on his reading ability and spelling I try not to even think about or I get depressed. It is really hard reading about other people going on about their straight A student when you have one working their butt off and still can't even make a C in the class. I am so glad to have you join over here and see their are other moms like me out there.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
June 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Veteran
It is SO nice to have someone who knows what we're struggling with. My husband has a learning disability, too, but his mom was never very involved in the work it takes so she's not exactly very helpful!

I completely understand how hard it is to deal with other parents whos kids seem brilliant. Im constantly reminding myself that its NOT that he's not as smart as other kids, he just learns differently.

Is Austin your only child with a LD?

My 2nd born son, Trevor, had speech issues, but they're thinking we might not even put him IN speech for next year....and everything thats HARD for Joshua is a breeze for Trevor. Its so hard to find a balance between........praising Trevor for his accomplishments........and not making Joshua feel like crap because Trevor reads at a higher level than he does. Of course, I praise Joshua for his accomplishments as well, but Im still worried that he's going to think he's not as 'good' as Trevor because everything is so easy for Trevor and he has to struggle for every little thing. Trevor can read just about anything you put in front of him........Joshua hasnt made it through the kindergarten sight word list yet
I struggle with not wanting to push TOO hard and fear of letting him use his disability as a crutch if I dont stay on top of making sure he works on things.

Eh, I went off on a bit of a rant there, but, anyway, thank you for the welcome and I look forward to getting to know you
June 20th, 2007, 11:35 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Yes, Austin is my only child with a learning disability. Steven is 4 years younger than Austin and has been more of a "gifted" child. He started reading really early and surpassed Austin on his reading ability years ago. He is way above Austin now. It is really hard on him and he gets jealous, resentful, and angry about it.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search