Summer services

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2007, 11:48 AM
sawing's Avatar Veteran
I was just curious as to how many kids here receive any services over the summer? In your IEP these would be referred to as "Extended School Year".

My son has received speech services for the past two summers. I had to fight to get them. With dwindling school budgets, one way that districts find to save money is to not offer these extended school year services. Not many parents even know that they are available.

So, does your child receive any summer services, and if so, which servieces do they recieve?
July 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I am not sure what is available. I know that we used to get Early Intervention through the summer but sometimes there were less visits because people took vacations and stuff.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
July 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM
dbltrbl's Avatar Veteran
It's really tough to get. The child has to have...I know I'm not going to say this correctly....but have a critical emerging development, the examples given to me were a hearing impaired child learning to speak right when school is ending or an ESOL child just learning English, or that too many weeks were spent bringing a child up to the point they were before a break (I think it's 8 weeks after summer vacation and so many weeks after winter break), hasn't passed the state 3rd grade exams or a child has failed a class.

My daughter was offered summer school in 3rd grade when she didn't pass the FCATs (they can hold you back only once if you've had 2 years of special education, otherwise twice.) I turned it down because we were going on vacation, I knew she would never be able to pass anyway and I wanted her held back. She would not be with an ESE class or instructor and she would be at a different school than she normally attended.

She had a hernia operation in October of the second time in 3rd grade. She caught the flu in the end of September, she missed over 3 weeks of school altogether while the 8 weeks were being counted. So at that point, she qualified. She didn't pass the FCATs either the second time in 3rd grade. We were given the choice of either the FCAT summer school or the ESE summer school, we chose the ESE school.

Her ESE teachers told me that it was requested that they gather all of the teaching materials that my daughter needed, work sheets, print outs, etc. and they would be given to her. What did they give her? Single digit addition problems. I wrote a nice note and asked that she be given either very easy multiplication or more complex addition and subtraction. The teacher did do that for me, she was a very nice teacher. The reading program she was on? Not one thing was covered from it. The ESE teachers told me it's not the summer school teacher's fault, the work just always gets lost in the system. Every time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search