Who gives you the most support?

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2007, 07:40 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
with your learning disabled or special needs child.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
July 25th, 2007, 12:55 PM
dbltrbl's Avatar Veteran
I'm pretty lucky, everyone I know is supportive in one way or the other. I have a friend that is constantly thinking of ways to help Lizzie, not all of them are really a good fit, but she has kind intentions. Same with other friends and family members.

Her teachers last year were fantastic. Her general studies teacher would put Lizzie's modified test 2nd or 3rd down in the stack, she would hand them out one by one. When the kids returned their tests, they had to place them in their folder first. Lizzie had no idea she had a different test, neither did her best friend that the teacher allowed to sit next to her. After the teacher told me what she was doing, I asked her friend, she said no, everyone had the same test. Even when it was supposed to be silent in the class when they did desk work, the teacher would allow them to quietly talk, she told me she knew that they were talking about the work at hand, not about other things. She did everything possible not to make Lizzie stick out any more than she did.

She's had her share of not so great teachers, the last 2 years were the easiest she's ever had (accommodation wise) and the least amount that I ever had conferences with. They would usually hand me a conference slip when I was volunteering. We had constant communications through her daily planner, formal meetings other than IEP meetings weren't necessary.

The most.....I guess it would be my husband and my sister. They were always behind us 100%
July 26th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Veteran
My husband and Joshuas teachers have been amazing. Esspecially his resource room teacher and his 1st grade teacher. Sweetest women ever. Joshua adores his RR teacher and shes extremely encouraging to him. Shes also available whenever Ive needed to talk to her, shes always got wonderful suggestions.
July 27th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Quote:
I'm pretty lucky, everyone I know is supportive in one way or the other. I have a friend that is constantly thinking of ways to help Lizzie, not all of them are really a good fit, but she has kind intentions. Same with other friends and family members. Her teachers last year were fantastic. Her general studies teacher would put Lizzie's modified test 2nd or 3rd down in the stack, she would hand them out one by one. When the kids returned their tests, they had to place them in their folder first. Lizzie had no idea she had a different test, neither did her best friend that the teacher allowed to sit next to her. After the teacher told me what she was doing, I asked her friend, she said no, everyone had the same test. Even when it was supposed to be silent in the class when they did desk work, the teacher would allow them to quietly talk, she told me she knew that they were talking about the work at hand, not about other things. She did everything possible not to make Lizzie stick out any more than she did. She's had her share of not so great teachers, the last 2 years were the easiest she's ever had (accommodation wise) and the least amount that I ever had conferences with. They would usually hand me a conference slip when I was volunteering. We had constant communications through her daily planner, formal meetings other than IEP meetings weren't necessary. The most.....I guess it would be my husband and my sister. They were always behind us 100%[/b]
You are so lucky. I feel like I don't get enough support from friends and family. I sometimes feel like I get more criticism than anything else. My dh is really supportive though.
Quote:
My husband and Joshuas teachers have been amazing. Esspecially his resource room teacher and his 1st grade teacher. Sweetest women ever. Joshua adores his RR teacher and shes extremely encouraging to him. Shes also available whenever Ive needed to talk to her, shes always got wonderful suggestions.[/b]
That is really great. I am sure it helps to have someone to talk with and get ideas from.

July 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Quote:
with your learning disabled or special needs child.[/b]
I think my dh is the most supportive but he isn't the most helpful. I wish I had more friends with kids that had special needs. Yesterday I was having a mini breakdown over Brandon and some potty training problems we are having and I just don't ever feel like I have anyone to talk to. Even if they are supportive they don't really have any advice to help me. I am trying to start making more friends with special needs kids so that I have someone to lean on and to ask questions.

July 27th, 2007, 06:08 PM
dbltrbl's Avatar Veteran
Patty, I'm many years out of potty training, but I'll try to help however I can.

I was fortunate with Lizzie's 4th grade general studies teacher, she had 2 LD boys. She had taught at the school for 32 years, I guess it'll be 34 years this school year. She handpicked all of her sons' teachers going through elementary school. And had gone through some IEP nightmares.

She told me the first day I met her how important it is for parents to be involved with their LD children, that the school work didn't stop at school. A parent needed to go through with their child every single night with their homework and help them. She had done it herself.

She gave me advice about public middle and high schools and what to expect. And she was another one that thought homeschooling was a good idea for Lizzie.

Both of her sons went through and graduated 4 year colleges. She said they were B and C students, but they did graduate. She said they both have families, have decent jobs and are good men.

Anyhow, my point to all of my ramblings is this, I always tried to find people that have been there, done that. I hope I can learn from all of you and maybe I can help a little also.
July 28th, 2007, 03:38 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Patty.

I can't say that I am the most succesful at potty training. One thing I tried that was recomended to me was get someone else like grandma to help. Sarah was about a month off 3 and loved staying with grandma, so we let her stay over there for a couple of days and grandma got her to sit on the potty. (Would not sit for me at that point) it seemed to break the potty sitting stuborness. Then when she came home I grit my teeth and did the bare bottum thing. Maybe it was that, maybe it was co-incidence, but the day I took away her nappy, her trainer pants and let her go bare was the day she trained. Well pee trained anyway, number 2's were a diffrent story. I think she was about a month over 3.

Now with ds now....I am hoping by 4...no idea.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 2nd, 2007, 03:32 AM
sawing's Avatar Veteran
Honestly, my son gets the most support from ME! lol I am his biggest advocate. I am in there all the time fighting for what he needs. The other two don't need as much, and they get what they do need from their teachers, but mostly because I have been a big pain in the butt at school. Sounds a little crude, but you have to do what you have to do, kwim?

Last year was probably our best year ever. I think everyone at school finally got the message that I'm not going to go away.
August 2nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Patty.

I can't say that I am the most succesful at potty training. One thing I tried that was recomended to me was get someone else like grandma to help. Sarah was about a month off 3 and loved staying with grandma, so we let her stay over there for a couple of days and grandma got her to sit on the potty. (Would not sit for me at that point) it seemed to break the potty sitting stuborness. Then when she came home I grit my teeth and did the bare bottum thing. Maybe it was that, maybe it was co-incidence, but the day I took away her nappy, her trainer pants and let her go bare was the day she trained. Well pee trained anyway, number 2's were a diffrent story. I think she was about a month over 3.

Now with ds now....I am hoping by 4...no idea.[/b]
Brandon is 4 and can pee on the potty but isn't going number 2. It is making me crazy but I know he will get it eventually. We have been working on this forever.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search