Your child's self esteem?

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2007, 06:41 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Does your child have a good self image?

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
July 30th, 2007, 10:47 AM
dbltrbl's Avatar Veteran
Hard question. I keep her in gymnastics and she's fairly good, that helps. It's been recommended to me not to stop it unless she wants to quit.

She knows that she hasn't learned the same as her siblings or friends and is different in that respect. And sometimes she worries about that, I tell her everyone blooms at different times, like the "Leo the Late Bloomer."
July 30th, 2007, 02:39 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very good because she is naturaly outgoing and we home school.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 30th, 2007, 05:59 PM
dbltrbl's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Very good because she is naturaly outgoing and we home school.[/b]

That's fantastic!
July 31st, 2007, 07:22 AM
I think my son is really shy and is not as self-confident as I would like. He has mentioned that he is shy more than once so I know he is aware of this. My dd is really outgoing and is not shy but this may be because she is younger than him. I think kids tend to be more outgoing when they are younger anyway.

August 2nd, 2007, 02:37 AM
sawing's Avatar Veteran
They all do now, but Brandon really struggled with this when he was younger.

He knew that he was different from the other kids in his class. He knew that they could all read better than him and it was very difficult for him in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. We had to work VERY hard at raising his self-esteem. When he was old enough to understand what a learning disability is, things started to turn around for him. Then, in 5th grade he had a young teacher who sat him down and told him that he (the teacher) wansn't a very good reader when he was younger and that he knew just what Brandon was going through. That was a huge thing for Brandon to hear.
August 2nd, 2007, 07:32 AM
Quote:
They all do now, but Brandon really struggled with this when he was younger.

He knew that he was different from the other kids in his class. He knew that they could all read better than him and it was very difficult for him in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. We had to work VERY hard at raising his self-esteem. When he was old enough to understand what a learning disability is, things started to turn around for him. Then, in 5th grade he had a young teacher who sat him down and told him that he (the teacher) wansn't a very good reader when he was younger and that he knew just what Brandon was going through. That was a huge thing for Brandon to hear.[/b]
His teacher just sounds so thoughtful. I bet that really did help him.

August 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
sawing's Avatar Veteran
Yup. That teacher made a big difference for Brandon. It was the first time that he'd had a guy for a teacher, and he continued to have male teachers for the rest of his education. Sometimes relating to the kids is half the battle IMO.
August 3rd, 2007, 11:34 AM
dbltrbl's Avatar Veteran
Wow, he really sounds like a wonderful teacher I love hearing about great teachers.

It's amazing how a teacher can impact a child, positively or negatively.

My son's 5th grade teacher was a man also. My son had played catch up for years in school due to his 2nd grade teacher and her fiasco of a class. This man was fantastic, he knew my son my the end of the first month of school. He described him perfectly, for example he said he understood that he had to give him a few seconds to process the answer he was going to give because my son wanted to be sure he said it correctly. I was amazed he could read him in such a short amount of time. My son ended up 5th grade on grade level. He said that he was positive he was in the highest class (they broke them into abilities for different classes) for math (he wasn't and I didn't tell him differently) because his teacher made him feel so smart.

As for his and his sister's second grade teacher, he won't allow me to say her name in front of him. That's how upset he is (at 12-years-old) 'till this day.
August 4th, 2007, 10:47 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
My 12 year old is really outgoing and has many friends. I think she has good self esteem. I had such poor self concept while growing up that sometimes it's hard for me to tell.

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search