Homework Struggles

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2007, 10:44 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
Do any of you have teachers that send unfinished schoolwork home as homework? What do you think about this?

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
August 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
sawing's Avatar Veteran
I am responding to this question as an educator AND as the parent of LD kids.

Depending on your child's disability, unfinished school work could be counted completed "as is". This is a complicated issue that involves student abilities, what's spelled out in the IEP, teacher consultant/classroom teacher agreement and other variables.

That being said, unfinished school work can be great as homework. It is a continuation of what the student did in school that day. A reinforcement. I understand the problems that can arise though, when a parent who is trying to help the student complete the work, does not understand exactly what is expected.
August 6th, 2007, 07:27 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
My kids homeschool so I am not the best at answering school related questions.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
August 6th, 2007, 11:25 AM
dbltrbl's Avatar Veteran
It depended on the teacher. When they were "onboard" with the IEP and her needs, it was usually just when the work was very important and needed reinforcement at home. The big picture stuff.

With one teacher (post IEP), she needed to have every bit of classwork and homework done. We would have meetings and discuss that Lizzie was to have less work. I would just make sure she could understand how to do problems herself, give her a few of the most difficult, then I would just give he the answers to the rest. She was seeing a CAPD therapist at the time that gave me that advice.

I would also get a feel for when my son needed his ADD meds adjusted, I would see a pattern of classwork coming home as homework, it would be a main tip-off.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search