Time Out Room

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2007, 02:17 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
Does your child's school have a time out room? Have you seen it? What do you think about its use?

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
November 2nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No we don't. I have never actually seen one, though a few of the schools in the area do have them. I really can't respond to cruelty or not since I have never actually seen one or been in one.
November 2nd, 2007, 02:44 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our school doesn't have one either so I really can't say. I don't even think I've heard of a time out room in a school. I think some schools either send the kids to the office or they have chairs out in the hallway.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
November 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
You're talking about the padded rooms where children who are destructive to themselves or others are placed in "isolation" in this room to calm down, right?
November 2nd, 2007, 07:33 PM
They aren't really padded, but yes, pretty much.

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
November 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I don't know. Our dd's pyschologist talked about a patient who had to use one (it was in her school), but I really don't know. I think personally, I would have an issue if Alexis was placed in one. She is extremely personable and extremely sensory oriented, and would tantrum even more if kept in isolation. Don't get me wrong, I agree that children should be removed from certain situations, and we do sometimes make her stay in her room, but not in sensory isolation. Also, she will sometimes remove herself and go in her room and shut the door herself. It gives her a break, and us one too, but I don't think I like the concept of the "time out room". I think at least in our circumstances, it would be cruel, but I don't like to say treatment or torture, because i don't live other parents circumstances and don't understand all the different things their children go through that would require the children to be placed in one. I try not to be judgemental because I don't understand their circumstances, and especially since all of Alexis' diagnoses have come about, I find I am really more tolerant of unconvential methods of discipline.
November 5th, 2007, 02:33 PM
My opinion then would be....if they can't be counted on to be safe around the other children, then that particular school is probably not the best placement for them. No, I don't think a padded room would be torture nor would it be training. Its just a room to keep them contained and them and others safe.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
November 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Well, you all brought up great points. As a sped teacher, I have and have used a time out room. I only use them if a child is in danger of hurting themselves and/or others. There must also be a plan for it in their IEP, otherwise it can't be used. With some kids it isn't a good answer because it would cause them to become worse. With a child like that I use a time in plan where I sit with them quietly so that they know that I'm close and they are safe. Some kids just don't do well thinking they have been abandoned. The media has caught on to this in our area and presenting so much misinformation and I was just wondering what ya'll thought as parents.

November 5th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Well, the media likes to spin things in such a way as to get the general public up in arms. They're rarely informed on what the situation is really like and they only take a small glimpse and blow it all out of proportion...at least thats how I see it.

As far as the time out room goes, when my dd was in the hospital, they had a "quiet room" that was carpeted from floor to ceiling and had no door. Usually a staff member or two stayed by the door. Some kids didn't do well in there because the isolation made them worse but others, like my dd did ok and calmed down faster in the quiet room. She calms better when she's alone. The more people around and more talking that is done to her, the longer it takes her to settle after a tantrum. Its never been a problem at school although, the older she gets, the more "stubborn" she gets there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search