new to this board

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM
momof3angels77's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to momof3angels77
I am new to this board. I have finally, with the help of my son's teacher, gotten his school to see that even though my son is healthy now. The chemo meds and radiation that he received when he was 2 did cause problems. It took him getting so far behind though. They are going to start testing him next week when they go back after break. Here is the late effects that we are dealing and Gabe has all of them

Quote:
Common Learning Problems

Studies indicate learning problems are often associated with cancer and its treatment. Common learning problems include:

Fatigue.
Decline in intellectual ability over time.
Problems keeping up during social conversations and in detecting social cues.

Deficits in areas of ability including:
The ability to sustain attention and avoid 'spacing out.'
The ability to remember information that is seen rather than heard.
The ability to remember sequences of information.
The ability to comprehend material that is visually read (although reading the actual words is often not a problem).
The ability to handwrite quickly and accurately.
The ability to copy or write information that is seen.
The ability to complete tasks quickly.
The ability to keep pace with new material.
The ability to perform math calculations (e.g., multiplication, division).
The ability to learn and retrieve new information and information that lacks a meaningful context.
The ability to plan and organize.

Areas which seem to be unaffected by cancer treatment include:

The ability to learn and remember information that is heard.
The ability to understand the application of math concepts.
The ability to use spoken language to communicate understanding of concepts and new material.
The ability to recall information accurately, if provided enough time.
The ability to be creative.

National organizations serving persons with disabilities are listed in the Resources/Helpful Links menu under "General Education" and "Disabilities" sections.[/b]

</div>
November 21st, 2007, 08:19 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome. I am Jennifer mommy to Alexis who is visually impaired, autistic and has moderate MR.

I am glad that the school is finally realizing that the chemo can affect his learning and development. I hope his testing goes "well" in that they realize what methods they need to alter in order to better educate your son.

I hope you enjoy our board here and feel free to post or PM us with any questions that come up along the way.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search