Advocate?

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
How prepared are you to be your child's advocate? Are you comfortable with the special education process?

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
January 2nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I am pretty prepared, but other than 1 snafu, we have never had too many problems with our CSE
January 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
That's great. Some parents have so many difficulties and even as a special educator, I feel weird going into IEP meetings about my own children. Sometimes I feel ganged up on.

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
January 4th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Sometimes, I do too, especially since the district pyschologist that we work with is a real @ss and some meetings I wish I could just punch him. I can't of course, but sometimes I feel better just picturing it. The rest of our committee is really great though.
January 6th, 2008, 12:56 PM
marcella's Avatar Veteran
Hello all...

I am new to this forum. I do not have a child with special needs but I do teach a class of special needs students...for the most part they have significant delays. I really feel for my parents who feel overwhelmed with the ARD process (aka IEP meetings). I try to explain things to them in a way they will understand and I encourage questions as much as possible. I consider myself to be an advocate for my students. I wish more teachers took this stance but many feel intimidated by the system.

I hope I can interact here with some of the parents here (hope I am welcome)....because I really do love my students and my job. I don't think I am a perfect teacher...but I am ALWAYS looking out for my students welfare and rights....

Marcella

January 6th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Hi! I'm a teacher as well of students with LD and have a dd with LD and a ds with MD. You sound like a great teacher.!

January 7th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Of course you are welcome here. We would all appreciate any thoughts and advice you could give us.
January 10th, 2008, 08:08 AM
marcella's Avatar Veteran
Thank you all.

Right now I am currently on maternity leave but will return to work at the beginning of Feb. I miss my students very much but am anxious about leaving my 3 month old at daycare. I hope that the teacher there will love my son and just do her best with him. Teaching extremely vulnerable students is something I can relate to. Again, I don't think I'm perfect...but I love all my students and I try to treat them the way I would want it done as a parent.

I look forward to interacting with you all.

Marcella
January 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Congratulations. I definately understand not wanting to leave your 3 month old at day care. I went through the same when I had to go back to school and work and had to put our 8 week old in daycare. It was rough. Have you checked out the working mommies board? I haven't been around too much lately as my dd has been sick, but its a nice board.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search