Do you have trouble posting on some other boards?

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2008, 08:45 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dd just entered Kindergarten, and I was checking out the mommies of gradeschoolers board and reading some of the questions was tough. Some of the things she obviously doesn't do as she's just in kindergarten, but even a lot of the things she should be doing she's not. It was really hard to post, because almost everything was my dd doesn't do this or she's limited because of her VI, or her special needs. It made me really glad that this board is here and that most parents have experienced some or all of the problems we deal with.

Has anyone else been uncomfortable answering some of those topics or visiting those boards, or is it just me?
January 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
No it's not just you. I guess we don't feel like "normal" parents and feel ignored when our posts are just skipped over. Hugs!

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
January 9th, 2008, 06:56 AM
At least I am not alone. I do understand that it has to be tough for parents who have no experience with special needs kids to understand what we are going through. I mean you think you can, but until you actually experience it yourself, its just not the same. Thats not to say other parents aren't sympathetic or trying to understand, but sometimes its hard for them to respond or they try too hard to say the right things or they don't say anythinig at all because they are afraid to offend you, and then of course they don't always understand some of the off the wall comments that we can make either.
January 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
yup!

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
January 21st, 2008, 08:46 AM
marcella's Avatar Veteran
Hello all!!

If I can just add something here. I think its SO important that you all have each other to relate to because its true...anyone who does not have a child with significant disabilities can't truly know what you all go through. BUT...I would encourage your participation on other boards when you do feel you have something to say!! My guess is you all have more to contribute to other moms than you realize.

To refresh your memories....I only teach students very much like your children...even I don't know what you guys truly experience (though I think I have a pretty good idea). Well...at my school...when I first started to teach I felt very isolated by other teachers. They just didn't understand what I did in my classroom....I felt even looked down upon. BUT...in the recent ohhh past 2 years...I have really made it a point to become somewhat of an ambassador to my students. I make it a point to be more social with other staff members....and to contribute at meetings whenever I can. I do this so that my students get positive notice from the staff members. Sure there are those teachers that I am sure still silently look down on what I do (I could care less!!). But there are other staff members who have really opened up to me with questions about my students and the willlingness to learn about them!!

I know it must feel lonely sometimes trying to relate to other parents. But I think your presence in other forums whether it be online or in person is important and others WILL get something out of it even though you may not see it.

Very respectfully...

Marcella
January 21st, 2008, 02:47 PM
mamma2petunia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to mamma2petunia Send a message via AIM to mamma2petunia Send a message via Yahoo to mamma2petunia
I have to agree with Marcella . . . I can't imagine what you deal with on a daily basis . . . 3 of my 4 children (ranging in ages from 17 to 7 yr old twins) have ADHD. I deal with challenges in school, different issues with each child, mainly b/c of their age. However, I spend time on the stay at home mommies, mommies of multiples, thirty something mommies and the christian mommies boards . . . all of the ladies are wonderful and extremely compassionate . . . I'm sure they would be a great source of friendship for anyone on this board . . .

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">Thanks Jolene for my beautiful siggie!!</div></span>
January 22nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
I definatley post on the other boards and the moms are nothing but wonderful and respectful. I do enjoy their company and try to participate as much as possible. We do try to interact with Alexis as normally as possible and not make too many allowances because of her needs, but on the same side, obviously some considerations must be made. It just sometimes gets me down when I look at some of the things on the gradeschoolers board and it is not something we are anywhere near accomplishing and they are things a child without special needs her age has accomplished. I try not to let it bother me as I love Alexis to death and know that there is a reason God made her the way she is, and even if we don't know it yet, she'll one day find it. I just don't post as much because sometimes it just brings me down a bit.

But thank you marcella for the little reality check. We sometimes forget to look at it from that perspective.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search