New face!

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM
mighttyjomomma
Hello all, I'm Jolene and was brought over from Moms of Preschoolers! I have three children, Anica (4), Mianna and Kaleigh (2 year old twins). Anica was diagnosed as speech delayed, it's suspected that it is due to her speaking two different languages, and being around her two little sisters and the three of them have seemed to develop a language amongst themselves.. so shes in preschool full time.

This is from my moms of preschoolers forum:

Tomorrow morning is Anica's IEP meeting. I'm honestly not even sure what I'm going to set as her goals, because she has exceeded all of my expectations! As of current, she counts to 50, counts by 10s to 100, knows her ABCs, endless nursery rhymes, all of her shapes, all of her colors, days of the week, months of the year, spelling her name (she can write it too, but it's still messy), her ABCs in sign language, and recently she's been working on shapes and colors of street signs and what they mean. There is probably more that I'm missing, but you get the point when I say that her teacher is doing WONDERS with a girl who last year pronounced spoon as 'foose' (or spiff, or something along those lines)!

She still likes to add extra syllables into a lot of her words, but I figure maybe it'll pass? Like when she says her name it's not "Anica [last name]" she says "Anica the [last name]". It's kind of cute, maybe I should teach her to say "Anica the Princess" KIDDING! (Although she DOES think she is one!)

Her spanish has also gotten a lot better too, but she is very shy about speaking it. She'll understand it when spoken to her, but will answer in English. I know there is a spanish aide in the class that will speak to her too, and she's told me she has answered back a couple of times, but I'm not sure how that is going. Maybe that is what confused her to begin with! (I want all of my kids to be billingual, for those wondering )

Anywho. Just thought I'd give an update, we will see how this goes!
February 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the LD and Special Ed board. I am Jennifer, mommy to Alexis, who is VI, autistic, moderatley MR, andin a full time special ed K. She's never been diagnosed with an LD, but she definately has learning difficulties and requires a very unique approach to learning. I hope you enjoy posting here and can find answers to any questions you have.

I can't believe some of the things Anica does. She has better speech than my almost 6yo. Good luck with the IEP meeting, and let us know how it goes.
February 12th, 2008, 10:21 AM
PeanutandPiglet'sMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to PeanutandPiglet'sMom Send a message via Yahoo to PeanutandPiglet'sMom
Welcome Jolene!!!

February 12th, 2008, 08:44 PM
mighttyjomomma
Hi Cindy, Nice to see you again!

Here's my update!!

SO -- GREAT NEWS!!!

Last year on the speech test she scored a big fat 0, none of her words could be understood and they had told me she was a 'unique' case. As of now, she took a test (of up to even SIX year old words) and scored a ..... 90%!!!! I was so happy and proud!! The words she did goof up on, she wasn't consistent with similar words.. so it's not a concern.

Her speech therapist is VERY pleased with her progress and at this point, it's decided that they are going to release her from speech therapy, and will monitor her now to make sure she is continuing to make progress which will probably be once every nine weeks. She will still be in the classroom to continue to develop her language skills.

Her teacher too is very happy with her progress. In such a short amount of time she has really blossomed, language-wise, socially, and overall as a young lady. She strongly believes that when the time comes to enroll her in kindergarten, she will be completely released from the program. This was seriously music to my ears, I wanted to cry!

So all in all, it was a great meeting - HAD to share my excitement!!!
February 13th, 2008, 12:08 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that is absoluely wonderful news!!!! We are soooo excited for you and Anica.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search