Hi all. Recruit from the ASD board

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2008, 06:56 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Hi mamas.

My name is Yolanda. I'm 33 and live in NE Ohio with hubby, Hunter, Devin and Bryce.

Hunter is 10 and has autism. He's mainstreamed now, but still works with an ST and OT each week. I recently tried to get him an Alphasmart via the school to help him write longer writing assignments and stories but my request was denied. I'm pretty upset over that. I'll get him one with the tax return.

His sentence formations are out of whack sometimes and he says and asks questions he hears on the TV a lot. He does not go into any details when asking about his day, so his teacher and I use a notebook we send with Hunter back and forth to talk about what he does there and at home. If I know some things about his day, I can get him to tell me about it. He also doesn't tell me when he's hurt, sick, sad, etc., so the notebook comes in handy there, too. HOWEVER...you gotta have a teacher who's not "old school" so much that she refuses to be open about what goes on when he's there more hours in a day then I see him, and is open to accepting the accomodations he needs; more time, reminders, different pencils/papers, but more importantly, patience and understanding. His first and second grade teachers were the best, Kindergarten the worse and 3rd grade, this year, better now but she was stiff at the begining of the year. She wants the kids to be independent, that's great and all, but w/o some prompting, Hunter will just stand there. She was also marking him off on words where his letter formation was too big/too high. He's working with an OT and has an IEP! We got that worked out, though.

OK. Off my soap box! LOL

We also have two dogs; black lab and rat terrier. I enjoying reading for entertainment, updating a website about my boys and writing to my family about them because none live in Ohio.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

February 14th, 2008, 08:54 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Yolanda, I'm glad you found us here. I am also glad that things are working out with HUnter's teachers for his handwriting during spelling tests. And I definately know whay you mean when it comes to having the right teachers. So far, Alexis has been blessed, but she's not mainstreamed yet and it may be awhile before she is, so she will have the same teacher for a couple years (its a k-2 special ed class) and her teacher is absolutely wonderful.

I hope you stick around. I have been brainstorming and have come up with a couple ideas to get this board moving.
February 15th, 2008, 07:04 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Duh! I kept searching the special needs, developmental delayed board, trying to find my intro post. I thought I was losing it! LOL I couldn't remember where I was!

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

February 18th, 2008, 09:47 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have that problem sometimes too. lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search