Surgies and Hospitalizations?

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have any of your kids ever had to have surgeries?

What about hospitalizations?
February 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Hunter had what we thought was a bone spur on the back of his head. It turned soft not too long after I discovered it and felt like a squishy, bubble, almost the same thickness of a single bubble of bubble wrap. We took the docs advice and had it removed two days after his first birthday. We got there that morning and left that afternoon. I'll never forget that day. Nothing bad happened, but the look on his face when he saw me and how groggy he was.

I have pictures somewhere....

ETA pictures

Here he is in his Looney Tunes gown. Those wonderful orange footies are the smallest they had and went to his knees! This is about 6 months before he changed, a year and a half before his autism diagnosis.

Getting info from the nurse.

In the recovery room with crackers and juice. Just love those big glasses! LOL

The incision. When it healed I cut off all those curls.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

February 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
Alexis has had 2 surgeries. Her first was when she was just over a year, we had to have a hemangioma removed from her belly (it was huge and right at the top of her pants, leading to problems with zipping pants and then body image later one), and the second she had in December of 06. She had surgeries on her eyes to move her null point nystagmus. Both surgeries were same day surgeries.

She has also been hospitalized twice. She spent a week in the NICU after birth because she could not regulate her blood sugar, and she kept dropping it very low. Also, right when she turned 4, in 06, she spent 2 days in the PICU because she fell off the swing in our backyard and gave herself a concussion.
February 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, Abby has had 3 surgeries and quite a few hospitalizations.....I lost count.

The first hospitalization was about 24 hrs. after she was born for seizures. She was transferred to another hospital, put on a medically induced coma to control the seizures....lots of tests and the meds weaned down til she was awake enough to tolerate feeds and come home.

Lots of other hospitalizations(before and after surgeries) after that for MRI's, CAT scans, SPECT scans, PET scans, 3 day EEG's.

1st brain surgery when she was 6 months old to remove a piece of brain tissue in her right hemisphere

2nd brain surgery when she was 13 months old to disconnect the right brain from the left and to remove most of her right hemisphere.

3rd surgery was a heel cord lengthening surgery.

While the surgery was successful for seizure control, it left her with other issues such as mood regulation problems, Asperger Syndrome symtoms, problems with attention, and problems with attatchment. When puberty hit, things became very out of control with her temper and with depression so she had some out of the home stays in a mental health hospital and developmental disorder unit. 4 hospitalizations of that kind.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
February 25th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Tammy, you are an incredibly strong woman. I know we all love our children no matter what, but it definately seems that you have had your hands full. I know some days I have a hard enough time just dealing with some of Alexis' problems and they are no where near as involved as that. You amaze me and I only hope I can deal with things as positively as you have. You are an inspiration.
February 25th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww...thanks.
We don't think we do anything out of the ordinary though...we just keep plugging along and trying to educate ourselves along the way. I'm not always positive....but I pretend I am alot

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
March 10th, 2008, 07:56 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
Rodney had two heart surgeries before 1. He spent most of his life in the hospital the first year and was in and out of the hospital for 5 years. He had a trach put in (3 times), g-tube, tubes in ears, and tongue reduction surgery.

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
May 30th, 2008, 07:25 AM
My dude was in the NICU for a week at birth.
Then, at 9 months, cleft palate repair. Difficult surgery, but we are done.
Then tubes in ears ( very easy surgery!)
Then hernia repair at 21 months.

Then multiple pneumonias, with a few hospitalizations.

I'd like to think we are done.

We're all in a special club, huh?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search