Teachers?

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 29th, 2008, 08:55 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you found that partway through a year of school that your child and teacher did not click together, ie wont adapt teaching style for your child's learning needs, or for some other reason, would you request a transfer for your child or wait until the next year?
March 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
marcella's Avatar Veteran
After exhausting other possibilities...i.e. conferences...I would probably pursue a transfer immediately...depending on how much the teaching style was impeding on my child's progress. Some teachers can be stubborn about changing their ways to meet the needs of the student. Not all..but some.
March 3rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
I agree, only after pursuing all other alternatives would I consider it. So far we have been extremely lucky with Alexis, her teachers have been amazing and willing to adapt everything to the way she learns.
March 10th, 2008, 07:53 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
I think sometimes we seek to accommodate our children too much. Children need to learn how to deal with all types of teachers, especially if they are going to be in the regular classroom.

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
March 11th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Very good point. I didn't think about that. I guess it would depend on whether or not she is still learning in the teacher's class. If she is, then I would have to consider leaving her there, but if she really started doing bad and not learning, when previously she was, then I would probably consider moving her after exploring other avenues.
March 12th, 2008, 07:39 AM
marcella's Avatar Veteran
It really is a good point and there are no easy answers sometimes. I just know I have seen students flounder with some teachers...and flourish with others. A child with special needs deals with so much in life already...but certainly if that child can be left with that teacher and still benefit...then great!

I admit I am a little over protective of my students and what teachers I put them with. Maybe its a good thing maybe not?
March 13th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
While I agree that we need to help our children learn to deal with as many regular situations as possible, we also have to know their limits in their ability to advocate for themselves. For my dd, she's very limited in that area. I have to be extra vigilant because its rare that a teacher will "get it" with my dd and they frequently expect a lot more than she can give. We've been very fortunate that we've had great teachers to work with and she was in mainstream classes for a very long time. I haven't had to deal with a teacher that was super difficult but if I did, changes would have to be made. I've found that most teachers are more than happy to have knowledge of what will help dd learn.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 30th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I had one who shook my son, and also denied him sunscreen and water in K, because he couldn't follow directions to get his backpack (he has autism). He was outside all day for a field day with no water or sunscreen.

It was the end of the school year, and I was overwhelmed. We left the school.
Now that I have more experience, I would have pursued something else---something legal, but we just left.

I know this doesn't have that much to do with your question, but I know I would have pulled him immediately if he had to spend any more time with that woman. She couldn't deal with special ed. Some just can't.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search