Newly Diagnosed

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Regular
I have been a member of JM for about 2 years I don't post alot because the majority of my computer time is while I am at work. I am a member of the Dec 06 DDC but I also have a 6 year old daughter as well. Meredith is the baby and Grace is my older daughter. Grace will be 7 at the end of May. She is amazingly bright and creative a definant free spririt. I never really had any behavior problems out of her in preschool or kindergarten but first grade has been a whole other ballgame. She has had some behavior issues but she is failing math!! She struggles with spelling as well. I have a degree in education but I don't teach I am in an entirely different field of work. Both of my parents are educators, my mother taught 2nd grade for 20 years and has a masters degree and my father is the dean of education at a college with his doctorate, but they live 3 hours away. At Christmas we had her tested for ADD her test came back and yes she definatly has some focus issues they were called. Well I have put it off for several months, tried tutoring and so forth and I have finally decided to try the medication. Her new tutor said that she really thinks Grace will benefit from it! Anyway my question is to those who teach or have children with ADHD have you heard of VyVanse and has your child's 'spirit' changed or has there been any side effects?? Also do see improvement with the medication??

Laura
Mom to Grace 5/01
and Meredith 12/06
March 12th, 2008, 06:45 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome, I am Jennifer mommy to Alexis who is almost 6 and in special ed K. We do not have any experience with ADHD as she has a visual impairment, autism, and global developmental delays. My advice would be to check out the Children with AdHD board. Hopefully some moms there will be able to give you some better advice and be able to answer your questions sooner.

Click here for the Children with ADHD board
March 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Regular
Oh I'll do that I hadn't seen that page....... Thank you for your reply!

Laura
Mom to Grace 5/01
and Meredith 12/06
March 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck and I hope you find answers to your questions.
May 16th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Yes, I hope you find answers too.

I just want to put in my two cents about diet and ADD/ADHD. I have it, and two of my kids have it. We are totally diet and behavior mod. controlled and it helps a lot. This is a site with a lot of links -- drugs, diet, behavior mod, family adjustments, you name it. It's not an authority site -- just one family's experience, I think. But it's always good to read what other people go through.

http://eklhad.net/adhd.html

I've had it my whole life and now function as an adult. Was diagnosed by a boss who was a therapist. I was never on drugs, although I have thought about it in adulthood. They didn't have drugs when I was a kid....I was just the flaky dope who always lost school papers, library books, car keys, and went nuts from the sound of classroom noise -- clocks, doors, kids tapping pencils, and squeaky chairs.

Plus I went through a thrill-seeking stage, crave movement. Still do, but it's manageable.

ADHD isn't the end of the world. Keep her life simple, room very clean, house orderly, backpack cleaned out every week, drawers cleaned out periodically. Give her a place to hang her towel, her bathing suit, a place to put her crayons and paper, and school stuff.
Teach her to manage "stuff" early, how to find quiet places to read and study. Give her lots of exercise, and a pure diet. It's possible you won't need to give her drugs.

And don't yell at her when she loses stuff or forgets!! She really can't help it. My parents chastised me all the time and I just ended up feeling really guilty. And I STILL lost stuff and forgot things and spaced out in school.

GOOD LUCK! I'm not preaching, just giving some info. Hope it helps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search