YEAH!!

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2008, 09:32 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So we went to a reastauraunt, well actually a little dive with great food last night with my parents. I met my parents there after work and my mom forgot to pack some toys for Alexis. I was so excited and so proud of her though. Even though she had no toys to play with she was so well behaved that both the cook and our waitress made wonderful comments about it. Of course we were the only ones in the place, so that helped, but it was great to hear that she was more well behaved than most of the kids they normally get in there!

It is great to know that we can start out at a restauraunt like this and progress to larger more crowded areas. We can actually go out to dinner with her now and not worry so much about tantrums and scenes from her.
March 20th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
Quote:
So we went to a reastauraunt, well actually a little dive with great food last night with my parents. I met my parents there after work and my mom forgot to pack some toys for Alexis. I was so excited and so proud of her though. Even though she had no toys to play with she was so well behaved that both the cook and our waitress made wonderful comments about it. Of course we were the only ones in the place, so that helped, but it was great to hear that she was more well behaved than most of the kids they normally get in there!

It is great to know that we can start out at a restauraunt like this and progress to larger more crowded areas. We can actually go out to dinner with her now and not worry so much about tantrums and scenes from her.[/b]
I chose this to be my first post ever in this forum!!! because I SOOO relate to this. I went out to eat the other night and my son Alex did so well. He has a cognitive delay and we have a big issue with meltdowns, but he was personable, and told everyone he was superman. And told the waiter he could be flash, he was a good cleaner and he was a hero. It was so cute, everyone got a kick out of him. He had his superman costume on under his shirt and a tie, and was clark kent, LOL.

I am not sure I am ready to give up our strict 2pm eat out rule (avoid the crowds), but it was nice.

Anyhow back to trying to figure out these forums, It is so large it is a bit intimidating!
March 21st, 2008, 08:36 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to JM and to LD and Special Ed. I am Jennifer, mommy to Alexis who is visually impaired, autistic, globally delayed, and has moderate mental retardation. She is in special ed kindergarten and doing very well there.

How old is Alex? He sounds like a charming, fun loving little boy, but I definately understand the hesitancy to eat out, as you can see. Feel free to jump in and start posting. If you have any questions, just ask. I know JM can be a bit confusing until you get the hang of it. Hope you enjoy it here.
March 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay for Alexis!!!

I remember those days well. Abby used to tantrum almost every time we went out to eat so going out was rare. She eventually got to the point where she just sulked and sat turned away from us for almost the entire meal That must have been a sight but at least she wasn't having a meltdown. She can usually do ok now but we still don't go out often because the meltdown comes before we go. Just last weekend, we took the kids to see Horton Hears A Who and had to deal with the hour meltdown before leaving...which happens if we've prepared her ahead of time or not. She was ok after we left the house and laughed harder than most of the kids there. I'm just not always up for the battle

But, its great when it works and I"m glad to see its starting to work for you guys

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
March 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
That is soooo awesome! Good for you both!

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
March 26th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
Quote:
Welcome to JM and to LD and Special Ed. I am Jennifer, mommy to Alexis who is visually impaired, autistic, globally delayed, and has moderate mental retardation. She is in special ed kindergarten and doing very well there.

How old is Alex? He sounds like a charming, fun loving little boy, but I definately understand the hesitancy to eat out, as you can see. Feel free to jump in and start posting. If you have any questions, just ask. I know JM can be a bit confusing until you get the hang of it. Hope you enjoy it here.[/b]
Alex is 5 gonna be 6 in september. he will be starting special ed kindergarten next year, we have been hemming and hawing over placement in iep meetings. The school disagrees with the neurologist and I, LOL. We actually eat out a lot, but at odd times. We will go the chilis immediately when the door opens, and be the only ones there most of the time, they all know alex personally now, LOL. or we will aim for the odd hours like 2pm. He does well when there are no crowds and he is prepared beforehand. But he has no good sense of time, so we tell him like an hour or so before and set his timer so he can see it. We have a huge one that is red and as it counts down the red disappears, it is the same one they use in school and it works well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search