Does your child fight about writing and coloring??

Forum: Learning Disabilities and Special Education

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Learning Disabilities and Special Education LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
My Alex tried very hard in school. but one area we have always had a difficult time is coloring and writing. He does not like to do it, Will not do it, and we can't make him. Every day I get home papers from school that are blank, or will have one tiny scribble on it, LOL. He just never wanted to color. he will do pasting excersizes and what not, just not writing. He would get frusterated and have meltdowns, it wasn't even worth the fight, it threw him off for days. it is just one of those things about special needs kids that makes no sense. What I wouldn't give to be able to peek into his mind for a day.

And one day I stumbled upon a great discovery, he loves dry erase boards. I do not know what the difference is, but he doesn't fight about it at all. we now have a huge collection of dry erase markers, he has his own dry erase board for any coloring he wants to do, and we have binders of activity sheets put inside those plastic sheet protectors. he will use the dry erase on the plastic and it wipes right off. He does tracing sheets, coloring sheets all sorts of fine motor activities this way. And now he has start trying real pencils and crayons more.

I thought I would share this little tip for any other parents whos kids have the same issue as mine. He now can write a very barbaric version of ALEX. And not to long ago he actually drew people, we couldn't believe it. he just came right up and said daddy it's you and me! I was floored, I didn't know what to think, "daddy, it's you and me" what a wonderfully formed sentence, my god, look at the picture, how did he go from scribbles to this overnight. I was so excited here is the photo, excuse him in his undies.

March 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what a great idea!!! I never thought about that. Alexis loves to write, but not draw and she will only write her name so far (at least willingly). Congrats on how well he is doing. That is wonderful news.
March 28th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thats great!!!
Abby used to like dry erase boards when she was younger...doesn't really get into them much anymore. She's recently taken an interesting in learning cursive this year at school. Its still not legible but she tries so hard and is actually enjoying the practice. Her printing has even improved a bit

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
March 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
Yeah, breaks my heart though that I can't save a paper in his baby book, LOL. But I had my husband protect that thing while I ran to get the camera, he likes to erase it so fast!
April 22nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Any advice for my son who writes but very faintly, can only write for short periods of time because he complains of his hand hurting, and who forgets to put spaces inbetween his words?

He used to not do it at all, so he's come pretty far. Right now he has a scribe for tests and long assignments. It'll come eventually!

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

May 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son hates to write, he always hated coloring too. Even though he is in third grade he still only will draw stick people. I started having him do hand exercises thinking it was weakness in the muscles.

Maybe he wouldl ike to try to dry erase thing too. I am thinking maybe because they can write without as much pressure so they don't fatigue as easily?

My son's teacher allows him to type things instead of writing them, but he can't type really well either. I wish I had thought of a 'scribe' I wonder if his teacher would have agreed to him dictating stuff to me for homework and me writing it for him...he really is a pain to get to write any kind of scentence or write his spelling words and now that they are learning cursive, it is even more torturous for me. He had decent handwriting in the beginning of the year, but now....ugh....it looks worse than it did in first grade.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 16th, 2008, 05:00 PM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Quote:
Any advice for my son who writes but very faintly, can only write for short periods of time because he complains of his hand hurting, and who forgets to put spaces inbetween his words?

He used to not do it at all, so he's come pretty far. Right now he has a scribe for tests and long assignments. It'll come eventually![/b]

Exactly what I went through as a kid. That's exactly my experience with the written word now. I was diagnosed with dysgraphia. In addition to ADHD and they keep trying to pin Asperger's on me. The three often go hand in hand. Severe hand pain while writing is a common if unreported symptom. Most kids don't often express it because they are told they are making excuses, as I was. But it seems that treatment for this sort of thing is leaps and bounds beyond where it was 20 or so years ago when i was struggling.

The things on the first link are pretty much in line with what they did with me. I also was introduced by my psychologist to typing, which I instantly loved and still do. I got much much better at expressing myself on paper when it finally became plausable for me to do so.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search