Divorce Clues

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2005, 08:29 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
This information was on the Indianapolis news last night and I thought it was interesting and thought you guys might too. I copied this off their website.

Divorce Clues

Andrea Morehead/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis, November 22 - Getting married and staying together, seems to be harder all the time. In fact, studies show one out of every five first marriages ends in divorce. And a first marriage lasts on average about 8 years.

This year in Marion County nearly 5-thousand couples applied for marriage licenses, while more than 3-thousand couples filed for divorces.

Some ex-spouses claim they never saw it coming. Would you know if your husband or wife was planning to leave you?

Married couples don't ever think they'll have to deal with divorce. But sadly, for some, it's just a matter of time.

Bitter ex-wives talking about divorce was a recent topic on the "Doctor Phil" show.

"After 25 years of marriage my husband walked out ."

"He just walked out. That was it, away from myself and my 2 daughters and that's it."

"When I first saw my husband acting strange I really didn't think much of it ."

Today more men and women are thinking about those signs. Just go online. You'll find books, videos, and CD's telling husbands and wives how to leave their significant other.

Eyewitness News went online and ordered some of the products. One contains a detailed divorce plan for men, telling them how to make sure the wife will get the least amount of money.

Some of the divorce tips include opening up a post office box so you can receive important personal mail. Another tip is to remove all financial documents from the home.

We wanted to know if these tips were valid. So we asked some local experts.

Attorney James Buck has handled more than 12 thousand divorces

"You do this for 46 years you figure out a pattern of behavior."

Buck has some ideas on what spouses should look for.

"(Watch for) a pattern of withdrawal of money, wearing different clothes than you normally wear."

Clothes and shopping sprees aren't the only giveaways. A sudden change in physical appearance could mean your mate is preparing to make an exit. Attorney Buck says to watch out for cosmetic surgery.

"I've had men and women with liposuctions and face lifts. Men with breast reductions and women with breast enhancements ."

Nancy Cross is another local divorce attorney.

"(Making) excuses not to be there, less intimacy, weight loss, going to the gym a lot."

Attorney Cross says you should also pay close attention if your spouse suddenly starts moving money and makes all financial decisions by themselves.

"That in itself is a warning sign to me that should send bells and whistles off in everybody's head . Staying informed is certainly the best protection you can have financially."

She says another clue your spouse may be planning an exit is missing financial records.

"If they're disappearing from the house often times that's a good tipoff that there's problems brewing as well."

Attorney Buck agrees that finances are a major tip off.

"You look for your tax returns they're gone. You look for your pensions statements they're gone. They're gone to a lawyers office."

But you can tip the scales in your favor. Buck says to make copies of tax returns, credit card bills, stock transfers, phone bills, and bank statements.

Attorney Cross says it's time to leave sentiment behind.

"Get the blinders off and address it like a business situation on some level and get yourself informed."

Attorney Buck agrees.

"There is no 'crazy' in divorce business. If you have suspicions try to follow them."

And, most of all, if you intend to follow those suspicions, hire a good attorney.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search