My job is the pits!

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I work full time for an engineering firm as an NDT/CMT/Specialty Inspections Tech. I have great benefits, good pay rate, etc. BUT it doesn't matter because I don't think I've gotten 40 hours in a week since last year! At first I used my vacation time to make up for it and when that ran out I sold some junk around my house. When THAT ran out I got a part time job. I was still having trouble making ends meet so I approached my team leaders/schedulers and they told me it's because of the economy but they would try to get me work. Then I found out they were sending a SALARIED MANAGER on MY job! I was SOOOO mad. So I approached my supervisor about it while we were doing my annual review. He gave me a PERFECT score on my review and then I signed it and all that. Well, after that I told him that I was upset that managers who should be out marketing to get NEW work were taking techs hours and I was upset they weren't calling me to do MY job. Then he writes (on my already signed employee review!) "Needs to improve communication"! Needless to say I didn't get a raise.

So I approached the department supervisor about everything and he recommended I speak to my division leader. So I managed to talk to my division leader about the lack of hours and no raise and everything. Then the next day a Project Manager asked me to come into his office so I did. He just ripped into me about 'screwing over' the company and how if I left and got a decent job it would be all because of them and all that jazz. I pointed out that I haven't gotten any new certifications since coming to work for them, I've gotten no 'new' training, I can't get enough hours to keep my benefits, etc. He kept reaming me out so I told him that since he's not in my chain of command and since I had already gone over his head I thought it was really disrespectful of him to say those things. He told me "That's okay. You're just the F*ing new girl." At that point I left his office and simmered down.

I approached my division leader again a couple days later and told him about the incident and that my hours still aren't improving and I'm about to lose my benefits. He agreed to put me on a full time job for a bit but then I found out that I'd be kicking another tech off that site. That is NOT what I wanted. I just wanted some additional training so I had a FAIR shot at getting work.

I had finally had enough so I sent an email to our branch president telling him EVERYTHING in detail. Exact conversations, dates, times, etc. He called me that night and we talked about what was going on and he agreed that getting 10-20 hours a week was BS and me not getting a raise thanks to my supervisors unethical addition to my review was crap. We went over my argument with the Project Manager. I mean he agreed with me on EVERYTHING. Or so I thought.

Today I got an email from him saying that he'd spoken to my supervisor and my supervisor told him I had been turning down work and that's why I had no hours and that I'd been turning down additional training despite the fact that he'd 'gotten me a contact' for my training. That 'contact' he was claiming to have 'found' is my PROFESSOR! I'm already taking those classes towards MY degree and I signed up for them on my own. He did not FIND me that 'contact'! And I have never turned down training OR work unless I was already scheduled for something else or could not work for some (REAL) reason. I was supposed to be sent for my CWI class and exam in April but he told me our 'budget' couldn't handle the $800 dollar blow. RIIIGGGHHHT. I was supposed to finish my UT Level II but he won't let me take the equipment out of the office so how can I go anywhere to get help since our Level III is 'too busy'?

The email also said that some superintendents had complained about my work. Well, if that's true then how come I've never been talked to or told about this until I complained?! And how come I am still being sent on these jobs?! If I was 'turning down' work then why was I not reprimanded before this? If I was turning down training then how come I am paying for classes out of MY pocket?!

It's all BS and it's just a way to point the blame back to me. My company is all about ditching responsibility and pointing the finger. Of course, sh*t rolls down hill, so being a lowly tech it all lands on me. Go figure. I'm going to be job hunting starting this weekend!

/rant

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
June 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Wow!! Let me guess you are one of the few women in that place. Sorry to hear what they are doing to you. Sounds like you would be better off out of there. Is there many opportunities to do what you are already doing where you live??
June 10th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Wow! I didn't think anyone would respond to my uber long rant. It just felt good to get it out!

In answer to your questions, there are tons of opportunities in my field all over the US. However it is a 96% male field. And of the women I've met who do this kind of work, most are manly, lesbians or both. Not to put them down but being a tiny, good-looking, single, straight and girly-girl type woman makes employers think I can't do the heavy lifting, I can't handle the dirt, or just whatever. I am the only female tech at my company. Actually I've only ever had one other female coworker in the three years I've been doing this. I think it might just be time for a career change because I'm not getting anywhere when all the MEN I work for treat me like a WOMAN. For once in my life I really want to be treated as an equal but I'm not and since it's all men in my chain of command I will never go anywhere. I'm just sick of having to 'prove' myself over and over.

Anyway, thanks for taking time to read all that and respond. It is greatly appreciated. I know this is supposed to be marriage and relationship venting but as a single mom my career is like my SO. And it knows how to push my buttons just like an SO!

PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)

June 11th, 2008, 03:55 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I dont think of this as just a marriage/SO venting board, I just think of it as a venting room for anyone to come in and let is loose on whatever!! We all need to once in a while. Well that just sucks that people treat you inferior. You shouldnt have to prove yourself to anyone. Just be careful about your references as it sounds like if you put your current employer down, you might have a bit of trouble. What about stay in the field that your in, unless you really do want a break from it, and go to another employer and hopefully they will treat you with the respect that you deserve. Hang in there!!!!
June 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM
This is my third company in three years and I have taken everything from sexual harassment to being told I can't do certain types of work because of my gender. I doubt I'll ever find a company that would give me a fair chance unless I had a sex change. So I'm going to stick it out with this one for now and try to think about other career fields I might enjoy.

Thanks for the advice!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search