I got to stop being such a nice person at work

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
I do do and do at work. Figuring it's got to be done. So just do it. Sometimes I think people think. Oh she'll be a good ole joe and do it. So they leave me work on purpose to do. Yeah that's me. The good ole joe that does it. It's not in my personality to be a jerk about things. When others can be such pr-cks. Telling you what they will and will not do on the job. Saying it's not their job to do this or that. I just do whatever as it's all for the residents who live where I work. If they did not get quality food and service. They'd move out. And we'd have no job. Thursday and Friday were to be my days off this week. As I work the weekend. Well they talked me into working Thursday afternoon. Well it started out I'd work the early shift. As the new lead cook and our supervisor were to go to some menu planning seminar. But we also had 4 parties booked that day throughout the day. Our supervisor was worried there would not be enough staff to work the parties. Or someone would for sure call in sick. We have the virus cold/flue thing going around now I just got over it. Then all of a sudden talked her and the new lead cook out of going to this seminar. The head person in charge of food service between where I work and the nursinng home building. Finally agreed they didn't need to go. She'd bring back the info. So my working the morning shift turned into working the later shift. As now they didn't have enough help to dish up the food for a dinner party eating at 6:30pm. So I technically get 1 full day off. But at least I don't have to be up to work the early shift. I can sleep in and show up in the afternoon. But that did sort of screw up my plans for Thursday evening. I should of been a jerk like everyone else. Saying no I won't work at night. I will work the morning as you asked me to. Make someone else work the night. But again it's not in my personality to be a pr-ck about it. That is why people walk all over me. Well maybe being a nice person will pay off in the end. Another thing is. If I was a jerk. I'd for sure be written up or repremanded in some way. But others can get away with it all the time. For the most part my job is not that bad. It's better than some jobs I had. Just sometimes I think I should be less of a nice person. I think people take advantage of that.
December 20th, 2005, 02:18 PM
blythe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi...new to JM...

I'm sorry to hear about your work situation. My dh always used to say to me "If you look like food, you
WILL be eaten." I believe him more and more. My mom always said people could instantly tell that I was a pushover and people will take advantage. I even had a dear friend who was very honest as well as bossy tell me that she liked to see "how far she could go with people" for her own amusement!!!

I got fired from a job 3 years ago for being the "easy" one....my boss was brand new and not very knowledgeable about her new position and we all knew it...I've heard from different sources that management classes in college will tell you to fire someone the minute you take over to send out the message "I'm in charge". Well, I was nice and she saw that as a weakness and she rode me and rode me and hung around to find and notate every mistake I ever made (I was trying and working so hard to be perfect at my job!! sooo much overtime unpaid, etc.) She wrote me up over 20 times in 2 months!! (my previous employers at the same position had never written me up and I'd been doing the same job for 10 years!!!) She gathered enough "evidence" to show her supervisor (who we think she was sleeping with ) that I was "incompetent" and I got fired but was told I had to finish out the remainder of my contract that was 2 more months!!!! I got a DR. to help me get family leave based on the mental cruelty and never came back after that day. The people/friends I worked with were so afraid of the new boss that fired me that they were completely not supportive and were afraid to be caught hanging around me for fear they too would lose their jobs.

I am now a SAHM and loving it but I will want to go back to work someday.

I decided with my next job I will initially act like an a## to send out the message "don't f#### with me" and then I'll be nice to the people gradually who seem to merit my friendship. SOunds ruthless but I lost a $35,0000/year job for being the nice one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just thought I'd let you know - you're right - nice guys finish last.
December 21st, 2005, 02:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
My supervisor knows I do my best on the job. I could never be a pr-ck to anyone. Not unless they were mean to me first. This one girl pam. She can get rude with me. It's fine by her she does. But if I dare talked back to her like one day. She got sassy mouthed with me. I tell her off. Not directly to her face. But got so upset I said f this s. She says don't swear at me. I was saying it in the air not at anyone directly. I said loudly I'm blowing steam. I wanted to get really ######y with her. But literally bit my tongue. As my mouth could of gotten me fired.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search