Irritated with my new PCP!!

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Lovin'_My_Boys's Avatar Momma to Landon & Nolan
So my husband is a sheriff and we have really great insurance! The only downfall is it's an HMO (which we choose) BUT with HMO's you have to get a referral for EVERYTHING!
Well I picked an awesome PCP (primary care physician) - she spent an hour with me just getting to know me and my history and really took her time with me. Unfortunately she left and I was assigned a new PCP. I had an appt with my new PCP today and I am just sooooooo frustrated now!! DH & I decided we want to start TTC in Sept, so I would really like to meet with a new OBGYN (since the OBGYN I've been going to the last few months closed his practice) and have a "family planning" consultation, or whatever those appt are called. DH & I have never TTC before (our 1st was an "oops") so I would like to talk to a OBGYN & see what I should change about my diet, ect.... in order to prep my body for the changes. ANYHOW- I told my PCP today I needed a referral to see an OBGYN and she asked what for.. I told her and she said "You can't just get a referral to see an OBGYN for a counseling session!" - not only was that completely wrong for her to say... but she was a **** about it!!
My insurance covers family planning consultations. I've checked my coverage and it shows it's covered!!
I am soooo irritated! How can she deny me an appt with an OBGYN?! Sorry I just needed to vent! Anyone have any suggestions? I am definitely going to request a new PCP.. I pay way to much a month for insurance to have a crappy doctor! But in the mean time, what should I do?

*Formally known as 'Landon's Mommy'

Last edited by quietsong; July 15th, 2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: profanity
July 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Complain to the office manager if there is more than 1 Dr in the practice. Demand the referral and then contact your insurance company about the problem. Let the Dr's office know as well that you will be contacting your insurance company and I can guarantee that they will change their attitudes real quick!!
July 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I contacted my ins comp as soon as I got home. They told me there is no reason she could/should be denying me the referral & told me to switch PCP's.. if my new PCP wont give me a referral to call them back and they will call my doctors office and demand the referral! I just couldn't believe she denied me the referral! All I want is to meet with my new OBGYN and have a family planning consultation. Isn't that the way to go when you are planning on TTC? I should make sure I am in good health first before I try to carry a child for 9 months?! Ugh the nerve of some people! I am definitely switching PCP's asap!

July 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I was under different insurance when I had my second and they required a referal to see an OBGYN even though I had the same OBGYN who delivered my first and saw him for annuals, so I went to my PCP (for the first time even) and did the test. I was floored when my PCP tried to tell me that they would provide my prenatal care and deliver the baby. HECK NO!!! I tried to be nice, but had to demand the referal to see my own OB.
July 27th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I called today and changed my PCP. Of course the nurse asked why I needed an appt when I was just seen 2 weeks ago.. I explained the situation to her.. and after an hour of being on the phone with not just the nurse, but her supervisor, I got NO WHERE! I am beginning to think I am crazy. Has anyone else gone in for a "family planning" appt? Shouldn't I see an obgyn to make sure I am capable of being pregnant and having a healthy pregnancy and baby?? They told me I can't see an obgyn for family planning because I am on birth control! ***?! Then they started saying it's called an infertility appt. Umm... how is it infertility if we haven't started trying yet?? I am sooooooo frustrated with them! All I want is an appt to make sure everything is good before DH & I TTC. I am not asking them to amputate my left leg for fun! This whole thing has definitely brought me down with the whole "ttc" excitement! I was so thrilled when DH and I finally agreed to start trying... but now I feel like I am going to have a horrible experience because of my ridiculous doctors! Once I become pregnant are they going to refer me... or are they going to deny me of that too?! Ugh.. it's so frustrating! The part that really irritates me is.. I spoke with my ins comp.. they assured me I am covered for a FAMILY PLANNING APPT... all I need is a referral to an OBGYN!
Anyhow.. anyone have any suggestions on preparing your body for pregnancy? Since apparently I am crazy for wanting to ask my doctor that question... and more!

July 30th, 2009, 02:43 AM
sunshine411's Avatar Let's go MAVS!!!!
Switch to a different drs office all together. You dont even have to tell your current drs office. Look up providers online (most insurances have this), and then call. I base alot just off the receptionist, nurses and so forth. Tell them what you want, tell them your current dr wont refer you and ask if they have a problem referring you. Keep calling around until you get someone you like, then call your insurance and switch your pcp to the new one youve found. You dont have to stay at the office your at and I wouldnt. If you do get pregnant, do you really want these people in charge of your care, or after care for that matter.
August 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Wow!! I cant believe they are still screwing you around like that!! I agree, time to find a whole new office to go to!! If they ask you what you need to be seen for, just tell them it is personal. I have done that before and never had a problem. Make sure you contact your insurance co about it too!
August 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
The only problem is out where I live I don't have too many options. The other medical group I could switch to I've had before.. and I REALLY don't like them! The receptionist sits there and flirts with my husband in front of me. If that's not bad enough... the receptionist tells my SIL (who works there also) that she thinks her brother (my husband) is hot.. ***! How professional is that?? My DH & I agreed NOT to go there anymore. The doctors office I have now is great.. it's just this new doctor I have. My previous doctor was awesome.. but she got another job offer and left. They assigned me to this new doctor, and that's when the problems started. Her entire staff sucks. I got an appt with a 'well woman' doctor there at their office.. hopefully that goes well. Next time I need to go to the doctors I am definitely going to another doctor.. hopefully that will make things better.

August 4th, 2009, 03:17 PM
KimberlyD0
I am so sorry your going through all this. I do hope you get it settled soon. If you want to see one they should allow you.

On the FP issue though you don't need an OB for that. A PCP will be able to do the same as an OB in that kind of a situation. I did FP for both my girls. I only needed an OB after I was having fertility issue, they wont see you before then, and you have to have been trying for more then 6-12 months depending on age. I lose 3 pregnancies due to unknown reasons, so I was sent to an OB, They did the exact same tests the family doctor (PCP) did, but then we did some clomid. Nothing worked after 3 years so we stopped trying. 1 month Later I was pregnant with DD#1 (4 at the end of the month) My PCP did all my PNC untill 30 weeks then I had an OB again. Second pregnancy we were set for a fertility annalisis, and ended up pregnant 2 months before the appointment, I found out that I could have a midwife, I started seeing her at 8 weeks pregnant. Other then those issues, I never see an OB. My PCP does all my physicals and everything.
November 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A good Family Physician should be able to do pre-conception exam and advice just like an OB (until you can get in to an OB). Some FPs also follow you through your entire pregnancy (unless something unexpected comes up, then refer you to OB or MFM) and deliver the baby as well.
Hope you're able to get things straightened out. You definitely have a right to be seen prior to your pregnancy. Good luck!

March 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM
That pcp's attitude was uncalled for. She should of wrote the referral. We had this woman doctor who started out ok. Then our son got sick. She snipped at me. Says you can't bring your son in here everytime he gets the sniffles. Ummm he had a ear infection that was not getting better. I'd talk to someone higher up. I'd even complain to the insurance company.
April 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Veteran
I have great insurance...but when I went to my OB for a FP consult she basically said "why are you here?" and so I repeated that it was for a fam planning consult and she was like "you have sex to get pregnant. what more is there to say?" So maybe you're not missing much!
April 21st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Beneath_The_Rose's Avatar WTTC #1
I do agree that it is very rude of her but since you just want to know about what's going inside you and if you are healthy maybe you could go see a gyno? If you don't have one you could just get a referral to a gyno for a "check up" and then ask the gyno to to an exam for you. I would imagine that all hey would tell you at a family planning consult other than the "you have sex you get pregnant" would just be the basics of take folic acid, exercise, eat right, take a multi vitamin, avoid caffeine, etc. Basically stuff you already know. I would just go for normal exam with a gynecologist and just have them to a full check up so you know if everything is alright down there.

Good luck!

still waters run deep

How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response.
Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us
-Thrall

*FaceBook*
*Myspace*
April 22nd, 2010, 12:47 AM
Veteran
An OB/GYN is a gynecologist, that's what she was trying to get a referral to see.
April 22nd, 2010, 05:45 AM
Beneath_The_Rose's Avatar WTTC #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by w000 View Post
An OB/GYN is a gynecologist, that's what she was trying to get a referral to see.
I understand that but what i'm saying is if she just worded it differently then maybe she could still get what she wants but they can't hassle her about. Like instead of saying she wants to just consult about trying to have a baby she could say she just wants to schedule an exam and then talk to the OB there during that visit. Sometimes you have to word things differently with doctors to get what you want. It's all in how they code it.

still waters run deep

How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response.
Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us
-Thrall

*FaceBook*
*Myspace*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search