Negligent Grandparent!!

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
OK, my daughter stayed last Sat. night at my aunt's house with my dad. While there, my daughter fell off of some exercise equipment and smashed her foot into the wall. She cried, they told her to "shake it off." They NEVER called me to tell me this happened. On Sunday, they dropped my daughter off at the funeral home since a really good family friend passed away. She was limping and I asked her what was wrong. She showed me and the big toe on her right foot was BLACK & BLUE and swollen twice the size of the same toe on her left foot. I asked why no one told me and she said they refused to let her call me. So after we were done with the visitation we spent 5 wonderful hours in the ER to find out her big toe is broken and now she is in a cast with a walking shoe. I was SOOOO mad I blew up at my dad and he acted like I had no right to be angry. If she is not going to be supervised and they are going to act like this, I am NOT sending her again.

April 6th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
I'd be angry also. You have every right to be angry. Your child was hurt in the care of family members. They could of at least called you to say it happened. Letting you decide what to do next. But to act like it is nothing. That's wrong. No way would I let my child stay somewhere again that they could potentially get hurt.
April 6th, 2006, 06:12 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Oh man I would be ticked off!!! I think if it were me, there would be no more visits there unless I was around! You have EVERY right to be angry with them for not saying anything to you, for not allowing your DD to call you, and for them to not even look at it to even put ice on her. Surely they seen her limping and continueing to limp after some time that they should have looked at it to make sure she was ok. That is insane!! My parents know to call me if one of them gets hurt so I can decide what to do.
I hope she is starting to feel a little bit better!!
April 6th, 2006, 08:06 AM
mrobinson

April 6th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
She is feeling a little better and the swelling and bruising is going down a little bit. It is hard for her being around rough and tough brothers who keep wrestling and falling on her foot.

My in-laws, even if the slightest thing happens, they are on the phone with me. When my youngest was with my MIL, he accidentally fell out of the shopping cart. She called me on the spot and told me, he was fine except for a little bruise on his arm. But I still appreciated the call.

She is NOT going over there anymore. I asked him how he could ignore it & he said she never said anything about it hurting. I am tending to believe my daughter and the condition of her foot when I saw it. If it didn't hurt, it would not look like that.

My sister is coming down from Toronto this weekend. She asked my DH if he would hold our dad down while she beat him up but we told her it wasn't worth it. So she said she is going to have a few choice words with him though.

April 6th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Destany's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In the very least, I'd have been ticked if the person who was watching my child refused to let them call me - for any reason, let alone if they were hurt! Telling her to shake it off without even checking it is extremely negligent, you always look to see if it's okay. I know you're daughter will be fine, but I agree with you about not letting your dad watch her anymore. I was the same way with my mother and I felt bad about not letting babysit my kids unsupervised (she wouldn't intentionally neglect them, just had no common sense) but I know I made the right choice.
April 7th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Lekilig86's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
In the very least, I'd have been ticked if the person who was watching my child refused to let them call me - for any reason, let alone if they were hurt! Telling her to shake it off without even checking it is extremely negligent, you always look to see if it's okay. I know you're daughter will be fine, but I agree with you about not letting your dad watch her anymore. I was the same way with my mother and I felt bad about not letting babysit my kids unsupervised (she wouldn't intentionally neglect them, just had no common sense) but I know I made the right choice.[/b]
yes here It's very understand that you not let them watch her, hopefully some talking will do? You never can be too sure what will happen in the future but in the meantime i would be careful, you should always let a child call their mom or dad, its senseless not to let them..I wonder what the reasoning of this was?

</a>
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a>
</div>
April 7th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would be pissed off too!! I mean when a kid gets hurt like that, then you let the parent know. When my DD falls I watch her extra carefully for awhile too just to make sure that nothing is broken. KWIM? I would definitely not let my kid over there again alone. I already don't let my kid go anywhere without me really, cuz I'm so afraid that she will get hurt and I won't be there to make it all better.

April 10th, 2006, 06:37 AM
ericalaurel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ericalaurel
How dare your dad act like you had no right to be angry?! Good for you Holly. Don't let her go over there again without you RIGHT beside her. I would do the exact same thing if I were in your shoes. I guess they would not let her call you because then she would not have gotten to spend the night, huh? Good grief...why are people so insane when children are involved?

*HUGS* to you sweetie--I hope your father comes to his senses and apologizes profusely for what he did.

Take care,
Erica

April 10th, 2006, 05:10 PM
dawnk777's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's horrible. They should have called you, or let her call home!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search