Would you of done the same

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
My mother means well. I guess at her church they had a f undraiser. This Croation group made sausage for sale for a Easter fundraiser. I guess it was really good sausages. Well my mother buys a bunch. Says she had a couple pounds for us in her fridge. I said Thank You. But mom is not carefull enough about food. All that sausage was picked up a week ago from this past Sunday. I know mom did not freeze the sausage when she got it home. It sat in her fridge for like 8 days before she come to our house with it. It was fully thawed when she brought it over. So I know it sat in her fridge not freezer all them days. I am very fussy about how long food can sit in the fridge. It's eat it or freeze it within 4 days or toss it out. Unless it's like vaccuumed wrapped is one thing or certain manufacturer wrapped items not opened. Like unopended containters of cream cheese or yogurt or similar items. But a package of meat or a plate of left overs. I do the 4 day eat it or freeze it thing. I cook for seniors on a regular. They make us practice very safe food handling and serving. I would not feed my family something that could potentially get them sick. At work we have the 4 day policy also. And I know mom did not go directly home after church with the meat. She always goes out with the ladies for breakfast. So that meat sat in a warm room temp car for over an hour while they ate before going home. So I threw out the sausage. But if mom asks. I am saying oh it was fine. Everyone liked it. Dh agreed with me also and will say the same. Mom did that another time. Insists we take some food she had she could not eat for some reason or another. We just made it go away telling her Thank You. Mom will keep left overs in the fridge over a week sometimes and still eat it. Me I am fussy about those things. If I cooked to much. I put it in tupperware and into the freezer. I don't want to be mean about it to her.
April 11th, 2006, 06:06 AM
carolinagirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't eat it either!! Have you ever had food poisioning?!?! Let me tell you it's not fun... especially if you get it from meats (mainly pork). I am extremely picky over what I eat, and if I get sick from eating at a place it's YEARS before I will eat there again. Your mom meant well, but like you said if it wasn't frozen immediately it's not any good. I also agree about telling her it was fine. If you have dogs I would cook it and feed it to them. SHEESH.. that gave me the heebiejeebies thinking about that! So on second thought just toss it out... nothing worse than cleaning up after a sick human is a sick dog!

GOD, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference ~ Amen.

My Myspace & Yahoo 360*
April 11th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Kaypea's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would have done the exact same thing....No fooling around with food safety. Lucky your Mom hasnt made herself sick!

April 11th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
Mom asked how we liked the sausage and did we eat it. I said we ate it Monday. And it was fine. I lied about it. She didn't have to know I threw it out.
April 12th, 2006, 09:58 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
What they dont know wont hurt, on things like that.
April 12th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Deena's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would have definitely done the same thing... No use hurting her feelings over sausage eh???

Our boy, James!! Born February 18, 2006!! xoxoxoxox
April 14th, 2006, 06:40 AM
dawnk777's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I knew the meat had that kind of history, then I think I would have thrown it out, too. My niece works at Walmart and only gives us those pre-packaged gift packages for Christmas. We got one with sausage in it. It was all shrink-wrapped, so it was safe to eat, but it just wasn't very good. We ate some of it and threw the rest out, more of a quality issue, than a safety issue. Bleah. We like the sausage we get from a local butcher MUCH better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search